toalco-kdx

May 16, 2002
I have a quick question about the transmission oil.
In the manual it says to use 10-30W or 10-40W, I some
Belray 85W. I was wondering if it matter if I use the 85W instead of the recommended? I bought my bike used and the previous owner gave me the 85W oil.

Thanks.

Milquetoast

Uhhh...
Oct 30, 2001
You can't go wrong with what the manual says, I'd use the 10w-40. But make sure you ask Jaybirdbrain, so he can expound on the benefits of using ATF for everything from trans oil to salad dressing to hair tonic. :confused:

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
comeon guys - that's Jaybird's profession. He actually gave me some great new chain lube that he is haveing his company develop - don't know when it will be on the market.

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
what.....i really use atf 0 defects for me but i'm not gonna start that avalanche in this thread so hopefully tolaco can get some helpfull replies .

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Guys,
Please take a look at the following thread and pay extra close attention to what our pal, Ando has to say. (but read it all, some great stuff from others as well)
http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5288

There are many factors to consider when choosing a fluid. To me the bottom line is that if you change frequently, you can use just about any oil and get by. However, there are fluids that will increase the perfomance of your ride.

Pay no attention to Milquebaby, he knows not what he does or says.... afterall, he's just a puppet. :) (lol, and I suspect a very sloooowww one)

KDXDan

Oct 17, 2000
toalco-kdx
I think the Belray 85wt is the same as 10-40w (or is it 80wt) whatever. I used the belray in my 99 kdx. Its a good tranny oil. If the previous user used it in the bike I would stick with it unless the it has been opened in that case I'd throw it in the mower.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Mobil 1 15-50

I switched to this oil this season and the bike shifts better and I have reduced that first to second shift problem almost completely. I change it about every 150 miles.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Whatever you use, overfill it. Spec is 700ml. Use 100ml of the quart you buy to rinse the case some when it's done draining, then dump the rest it.

The belray 85 stuff isn't anything like TWICE your average 40wt motor oil, though. I mean it's not going to APPEAR that way. KDXdan already said that. The same thing is listed in jaybird's reference thread.

Jaybirdbrain? Hair tonic? Salad dressing??

:)

Humor is good!!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom