white knuckes

Jul 19, 2004
Last year I was running 85w Gear Saver transmission fluid and it totally made me mad. Over the winter it seized my clutch plates together so the clutch didn't seperate at all. I checked with my local dealers and they said they have had many complaints about that happening with that oil.

Today I also was working on my friends bike, a RM 125, and some guy at a dealer gave him honda 10-30w Honda 4 stroke oil saying it didn't matter. The same thing happened to him, so I spent and hour cleaning his clutch out as well.

ALWAYS FUN!!!

Did anyone else have this problem?

(By the way the RM 125 clutch plates are much easier to get off than the KDX's but to get the cover off you have to take off the rear brake lever)

If your clutch seizes like mine, what works is to take a regular head screwdriver and stick it between the plates and GENTLY rock it back and forth. Then use a heavy solvent, like break cleaner, and spray it between the plates. Flood all them out and make sure you get all of it out before you but the transmission cover back on. After that what I would do is fill it up about quater of the way with real transmission fluid and drain it again to keep any solvent from milkshaking your new transmission fluid.

I know it is :blah: but it will save quite a bit of time.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Uhh.....not to be a smart ass or anything, but if you would have started and warmed up your bike once or twice a month, that would not happen....just a thought. YZ165

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I don't see any good coming out of this thread :|

Feanor

Aug 10, 2004
YZ165 said:
Uhh.....not to be a smart ass or anything, but if you would have started and warmed up your bike once or twice a month, that would not happen....just a thought. YZ165

I'm with YZ on this: Also not wanting to sound like a smarta$$, but during the off riding times, I fire up my KDX a few times a month and sort of tool around up and down the street.

I also change my tranny fluid insanely often during the riding season, and I think that helps in keeping particulate debris and impurities in the fluid to a minimum...

Even if you can't ride a little in the street during the off season (snowbound?), probably firing the bike up and slipping the clutch a few times while standing still would probably alleviate the problem completely...

Good Luck!

Feanor

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
this putzing around is good for all things i believe. everything i own with a motor is run no less than once a month year round except boat in storage and winterized

Feanor

Aug 10, 2004
ellandoh said:
this putzing around is good for all things i believe. everything i own with a motor is run no less than once a month year round except boat in storage and winterized

Sounds right to me :)

I have a friend who used to go on and on about how it was bad to start the bike periodically because you were essentially starting it in a "dry" unlubed condition and causing excessive wear each time... His great plan was to just let the bike sit for a year and then just get that ONE instance of dry unlubed wear all at once...

Of course, his planned kind of fell down flat when the thing wouldn't start at all and he spent the next week tearing it apart trying to clean and fix it...

I asked him how his 15 hours of tear down time were factored into his wear model, but he just told me to "shutup" :)

Top Bottom