Trouble removing front sprocket

Daisycutter

Apr 28, 2003
I can’t seem to be able to remove my front sprocket. This is normal maintenance that I’m performing where I intend to replace the chain, sprockets, chain guides, etc.

Is the 12mm bolt that holds the front sprocket on a reverse thread? I know ideally to get the bolt off I should have an impact wrench. Does anybody have another way to immobilize the front sprocket when torquing the bolt? I tried placing a long handle screwdriver through a lightening hole in the rear sprocket and throwing the chain across the sprockets and then letting the screwdriver “lock-up” against the swingarm as I torqued on the bolt.

I bought the bike used recently. It’s been well used but has had incredibly good care/maintenance.

Please help me Obi Wan… You’re my only hope.

dbrace

Oct 30, 2002
Try putting the 12mm socket on the bolt and give it a couple of hard hits with a hammer to break the threads loose.

Daisycutter

Apr 28, 2003
I still don't know if it's reverse thread or not. I can't find any info in the genuine Honda owners manual or the shop manual.

shifting

~SPONSOR~
Mar 5, 2003
If you don't have an impact gun to take it off with, put your chain and rear sproket back on (if there already off) and set the bike on the ground. Put it in 1st gear, this should keep the gear still enough for you to remove the bolt. My bolt on my98 cr250 was standard. If it was reverse it would spin with the gear and want to back itself out.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Should be a standard thread bolt.
Shoot a little Liquid Wrench on it for a few minutes. It will come.
You could use some never seeze on them when you replace it, just be sure to torque to just under spec.

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
Put the front tire against a wall.

To tighten, rear tire to wall.

Wishing I had a 12mm impact socket...

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
Get the tire pressure up first so it doesn't just squish. It works; I did two CRs recently (one twice). I put the tranny in neutral.

Daisycutter

Apr 28, 2003
I got it... Finally. I busted a 3/8 drive socket and had to use my 4.5' long floor jack handle as a cheater bar. I was praying bolt head didn't break.

Where do I get a new bolt. Is this a hardware store item or Honda part? With the threads partially F_____ up I don't want to reinstall the old bolt.

I'l gonna use plenty of moly paste on the new bolt. :)

kbob

Nov 27, 2001
I'd get a new honda bolt that way it is the right grade of steel. A softer one might not hold up(brake off) as well next time you need to replace the sprocket.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…