Trouble shifting into upper gears

bk250

Sep 6, 2006
I seem to have problems shifting into the higher gears, especially 4th and 5th. It does not happen all the time, just occasionally. When it does happen, it feels like it is being jammed and won't allow the shift up. Sometimes it will shift up just by hitting it again, other times it seems that I have to down shift and then come back up through the gears to get it to engage.

I just finshed doing my first top end and this is next on the list. Any advice on what to look for (or watch out for)? As always, any help or advice will be appreciated. Thanks!!

Sand_man

Jun 30, 2006
The gears may be worn, causing them to jam up and not fuction properly. especially if there missing teeth on the sproket(s) would cause a problem. But im not sure because if that were the case i would think it would be jamming even in the lower gears? i would still inspect the trans and make sure there not worn.
-Tony #422

ThormxKid

Jun 13, 2005
it could be the dawgs on the slider gear that engages 4th and 5th it could also be a shift fork that is maybe bent. wont really find out untill you split the cases

Top Bottom