juice_bruce

Nov 27, 2007
I am trying to remove the Primary Drive Gear, it's on the right side, in front of the clutch.
I'm using a Clymer Svc Manual.
I've removed the clutch & basket etc.
I've removed the gear shift shaft and shift mechanism.
To split the cases I have to remove the Prim Drv Gear.
The manual say's use impact wrench and turn right/clockwise!
But it is not budging.
The manual doesn't have a diagram and the pic's aren't the best.
Any advise is appreciated .
Thanks,

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
First of all, that's not the best way to lock up the engine. Unless you really hate that piston, rod & crank.

Better to put the clutch basket back on and use a penny or someother soft metal wedged in the gears. (between the primary & clutch)

If your impact isn't turning it, you may need a breaker bar.. Plus, so that you have enough leverage, put the engine back in the frame. I find it's easier to break the really tight fasteners on an engine while it's in the frame, then once all that stuff is removed, you can pull the engine out and everything else is cake.

juice_bruce

Nov 27, 2007
Thanks,
The Piston and Rod are toast.
Rod bearing exploded and there's parts everywhere.
I can get a new Crank, Rod, Bearings and gaskets kit for $135 so I'll likely get that, depending on the damage.
I found a buddy that has a Grabbit Tool, so that should work nice.
Putting the motor back in the frame is an excellent idea, I'll do that.
Another thing I'm currious about is...where the bolt go's on the crank...the centre of the threaded crank has a groove, as if a flat screwdriver would go in there but the gap is too wide...see pic...any idea what that is for?
Thanks

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Not sure about the slot, but you may wanna try a bit of heat on that nut. It's possible it has lock-tite on it.

juice_bruce

Nov 27, 2007
I got her off!
Yes it does drive the water pump...good point.
The Grabbit Tool is basically vise grips similar to what I used.
So went and picked up a pair of vise grips, see pic.
Took the pic after I got the nut off, I actually wrapped the gear with a rag and the put the vise grips on, the reverse nut came off easily with the air-type impact gun. Didn't put the motor back in the bike, but next time I'll know.
Thanks for the assistance,
Bruce

Attachments

• RM Clamp.jpg
    RM Clamp.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 728

Top Bottom