Suzuki JR 50 - enable the second gear

MI-Mini

Jun 1, 2001
I had read a couple of posts on this forum earlier on this subject "asking" if there really was a second gear in a JR 50. After a bit of exploratory wrenching over the weekend, I can now confirm that there is (at least on a '98 model), although it is actually first gear that you enable.

The result: Stock is neutral - up, engaged - down. After modification you will have neutral in center, 1st -up, 2nd (your current gear) - down.

Good luck.

Worth the effort? - If your child is having problems on hills / trails, etc.... probably. Otherwise, without other sprocket changes, it will not be any faster. Also remeber that performing this modification will make any MX races illegal, as the 50 class is single gear (although the JR is not used much for mx anyway).

Process: Remove the right side case cover (I had to remove both the large cover and ultimately the round clutch cover for reassembly purposes). Shift in and out of gear while you observe the silver metal pieces under the kick starter shaft. You will need to remove the small spring and friction clip (easy). I used a dremel tool to make the offset hole symetrically equal on both sides of the stationary pin (easy, but tedious - took two dremel stones and 20 minutes). Obviously retain / clean dust and shavings when done, then reassemble (easy, but be sure to turn kick shaft during reassembly to ensure cover seats well against case without binding).

Time: Oil drain to crank ... about 2 hours. I'm sure many could do faster with less exploration and higher skill level!

Dec 21, 2005
JR 50 owner

I bought my nephew a 00 jr 50, he loves it..i want to get the other gear goin also, but do u have to be stopped to shift or is it on the go? and also, needing to know how i get rid of the oil injection, im old fashioned, premix is better i know what the motor is gettin thanks Jeff

Top Bottom