Trouble tuning out harsh high speed ride on CR500AF.

Firebalsocal

Jul 20, 2003
The bike is a CR500Af in a 2002 CR250 frame. Complete revalve, respring, and enzo subtanks. The bike was valved primarily for sand duning in glamis. It works great there however I am racing a Grand Prix this weekend and in fast desert sections with small whoops, the bike rides very harsh. It's to the point that I can't see clearly at speed (5th gear, aprox. 75-80 mph). The bike will go faster but I don't feel it's safe. The bike has a scotts steering dampener and exibits no headshake.

The slow speed clickers seem to stop having any affect after maybe 4 clicks out from the standard settings provided by MX-tech. I'm not sure if the subtanks have anything to do with this. There were no instructions on the subtanks provided with the tanks. There is a shrader valve at the base of each tank and a brass screw towards the top. I don't know what either of these do.

The high speed adjuster on the shock should make some difference but the forks are most of the problem.

I weigh aprox. 165 in gear. The fork springs are .40 with a 450cc oil level. Reb. and Comp. are both set at 12 from MX-Tech. The shock spring is a 5.0. Reb. is set at 10. Hi speed comp. is 1 1/2 and the low speed is 12.

Anyone have some insite?

Firebalsocal

Jul 20, 2003
Fiddled with it a bit more. The fork compression clickers are backed out all the way now. The ride is still harsh. I did let the pressure out of the shrader valves on the subtanks. A small amount of oil came out of each tank, maybe a tablespoon full. Sorry bout the scientific measurements and all. :laugh: Haven't ran it since I bled the tanks so I don't know if it made a difference or not. I still don't know why the forks are so harsh, backed out all the way like they are.

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Ben,
Marlon has been slacking on keeping up with the forum.. Looking at your info, couple of things...

Adjust the rebound softer.. Its most likly an issue with the rebound being slow, rather the compression being stiff.. Adjust your clicker back in on the compression. Running compression soft allows the fork to use too much travel and then you run into issues with postion sensitive elements like spring and oil ht.. I'd suspect by the time you get in the neighborhod of 13-15 out on the rebound you'll be going much better..

As for the subtanks..

Enzo Sub Tank Maintenance:

Thanks for purchasing the Enzo sub tank system; you’ve purchased the original and best fork tank system. Your Enzo tanks function by regulating air through the restrictive barrier. Turning the adjuster on the side of the tank in will make the forks stiffer, turning it out will make the fork softer. This adjustment is best considered as a bottoming control adjustment.

Your tanks need routine maintenance (every 2 weeks) with all pressurized systems, condensation of oil vapor occurs inside the tank as the air cools. This oil needs to be reinserted into the main fork air chamber. To do so simply open the restrictive barrier full open, and remove the tank from its holder. With the tank upside down, and the bike on the stand, charge the tank with dry compressed air to 40 lbs.(DONOT EXCEED 40 PSI) (when dealing with compressed air always wear safety glasses, and shield). This pressure will push the condescended oil back into the fork. After you’ve done this release the pressure and reinstall the tanks in the holders.

If you have any further questions about your tanks don’t hesitate to contact us.

Hope that helps!

BR,
Jer

Firebalsocal

Jul 20, 2003
Thanks for the reply Jer. I've gone back to your recommended settings and then went two softer on both the forks (to 14) and the shock (to 12) rebound. I then went one click softer each on compression and 1 more half turn on the high speed compression setting on the shock. There seemed to be a little more plushness in the fork but the shock was hard to tell. Will I need to go several clicks to notice a large difference? It's dark and I don't wanna annoy the neighbors any more than I have so further testing will take place in a couple days or barring rain, this weekend.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom