True Green Newbie, needs bike advice

I read that most 2 strokes are not green stickered but get the red sticker? True? I'm in So Cal...makes a huge difference to me due to where I will be doing most my riding. Anyone know?

i have a 1999 2 stroke cr250r. right now my clutch is slipping. its still very fast its going in tomorow(monday) and will be worked on tuesday. but, the bike has a ton of power. it can be jumpy at times. tons of power. just think if you need all that power. also, my cousin has an xr400 and, once you flood that, its all over. it takes a while fot it to start up. mine, i just open it up and, kick it. from what i understand stand the engines on 2 strokes are very simple. my 250 is alot lighter than his xr400. look at weights to.

the 4 stroke has way many more moving parts in the engine which means more parts can break. It will also be alot cheaper to pick a good used 2 stroke. Although i am partial to 2 stroke i could not decide if my 11 year old could ride his kx 80 big wheel or needed a smaller bike. Now he blows away his friends 4 strokes and makes 4 stroke jokes with me.

hey man, I am 32 yrs old, 6'0" and weigh 205 lbs. I am in pretty good shape. Last year I bought a '05 YZ 250. Fun bike, very quick, out in the open. As a beginner its pretty tricky on a tighter set up MX track. I don't get to ride alot, maybe 2-4 times per month, so that lengthens my learning curve. I went with the 2-stroke because its easier to work on, cheaper to work on and cheaper to purchase. However, as a beginner, on MX tracks, I really can't reccommend a YZ 250, cause I think I am pretty tough and that thing gets on top of me too much, its a little too bad a$$ for a starter bike, if you ask me, who is a starter and has one. In fact, it got away from me last week, hit a fence and broke off the foot brake pedal.......anyway, I am kinda shopping for a good condition 125 2-stroke to hone my skills on, and keep my 250 for open riding and when I am a better track rider.
There are many, many 2-strokes for sale, the good part is its a buyers market and you can get some good deals, bad part is it prob. will be even harder to sell a 2-stroke a few more years down the road.
Of course, because of the maintenance, that Should be involved, I would be afraid to buy a used 4-stroke MX bike unless I knew the seller VERY WELL.

Anyway, I am only a yearling beginner, so you can take my experience for what its worth.
rtb