santod

Aug 28, 2005
I cannot figure out for the life of me what is going on. I hope someone might have some insight. I purchased a new excel rim and spoke kit to use with my OEM hub. I laced the rim up correctly and started truing. The rim was about perfect before I got the tire mounted. I even had the shop that mounted the tire check on an official truing stand. (shop owner actually was impressed) (did not tell him it took me like 6 hours).

I get the mounted wheel home and mount it up and there is a kick to the left right at the bead saver. So I started truing again to see what is going on. Now I have the tire running perfectly straight but the rim is out of alignment.

I checked all my parts bearings, axle, spacers, hub, etc and everything is straight. The tire has only 3 rides on it and is in great condition. Can the tire really be bent or am I missing something?

Any help is appreciated.

Santod

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
If the bead wasn't set perfectly even all the way around the tire will have a wobble to it. True the rim straight, then work the tire to get it running straight. I doubt you'll get it perfect, as tires for a dirt bike don't exactly follow the same precision as those on a 160 mph street bike.

kelseybrent

Sep 25, 2002
I'm not sure I understand. Were you truing on the tire itself? You might not have gotten the bead down in between the rim and rim lock. True the rim, leave the rim lock loose (so you can push it away from the rim) until your all done mounting the tire, make sure you get the tire bead all the way in, and torque the rim lock when you're all done.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom