kennedy

Mar 23, 2008
I've done the plug chops and got the main jet looking good on the plug reading, the clip is set right too. I went from a 45 pilot jet to a 42 based on the plug readings. I still get some spooge from trail riding, should I go to a 40? I guess I answered my own question but it seems like a big drop from the 48 that was in it when I got it. Also how is 160psi for a compression reading?

Racerjoey1

Jun 19, 2002
Im no expert, but I would try the 40 and see how it runs. It cant hurt anything unless it is way too lean.

160psi isn't bad at all. I'd wait until it got down to 120psi or so before I'd really worry about it.

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
that black spoo- is oil thats not burning completely
you go down- you will have even more-
you go up ,and it might wet foul-(too much fuel)
what i have found is some oils are like that there not that great
what is the premix?- 32:1?- go for 40:1, and jet accordingly-check your plug again
if your at 40:1- try different oil,and a different plug
if the pilot is to lean -it is harder to start,and will give a sound through the breather to let you know its starving- booowaaaap
i love klotz oil- it burns clean, yamalube is good too, gold spectro is ok
a lot of the synthetic oils are wayy better than the old standard oils,and they burn cleaner

from idle to mid -to top end you should burn the same-
have you checked the reeds lately?, they will do this as well because of the lack of strength to stay closed

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
The spooge may be caused by your fuel. Pump fuel will often leave some spooge in a trail bike, even if it well jetted.

FWIW, on a long trail ride that varies alot in elevation and weather conditions, it is better to be a little rich (making spooge?) climbing rocks at high elevation than it is to be too lean on a lower elevation fire road.

If it runs good and the only problem you are having is a little spooge, you might just consider leaving it alone.

kennedy

Mar 23, 2008
I"m running klotz techniplate at 36:1. After general riding the plug is pretty black and a little wet on the first few threads. I'm not having trouble fouling. I ride on dirt roads in the country to get to the slower trails so it is a mix of engine speed. After trails I have plenty of smoke when I get on the throttle hard. I've never had this trouble (spooge) on any other two stroke. The bike runs good overall.

rhansen

Nov 18, 2007
05 KDX 200. I'm running a 155 main and 42 pilot, with a Gnarly pipe, FMF "Q" muffler, RB carb mod, and power reeds. Elevation is 1500-2000 feet, air screw is out 1-3/4 to 2 turns, starts first kick, and absolutely rips. I'm running Klotz R-50 at 32:1 with 93 octane, and I still get some spooge out from where the pipe exits the cylinder. You know what though, I'm not going to worry about it. Bike has never fouled a plug, and I'm really at a loss as what to change. Bike is dual sported, and I'd much rather be a little on the rich side when running higher RPM's for extended periods.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Kennedy, where did you come up with this 36:1? What is recomended stock? If you doubt your pilot size, where is your air screw set at? How are you reading the main? Cutting the plug, or a plug viewer?

kennedy

Mar 23, 2008
36:1 is what I"ve run Klotz at in all other bikes and atvs I've owned and been around. I have no idea what stock is, I have no manual. The air screw is 1 turn out, I arrived at the air screw/pilot jet size by following the Eric Gorr article on jetting. I followed the same instructions when doing the plug check for the main jet. Magnifying glass and bright sunlight to look into the plug. My next step is to change to premium gas, I know I should already be doing this but regular has always done fine in the past. Past bikes have included a YZ250, banshee,blaster,IT175,even a pw50.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I applaud using Eric's advice. But, never forget, all engines are a little different, that air screw adjustment is on the border of a pilot jet change. You need a bigger pilot jet. If your jetting does not make sense, you may have other issues, gas we should hope!

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
I have tried 40's before and worked fine in hot weather or high elevations, but too lean in low, cool operations. You are probably very close with 42/155 jetting for all round. Work on your idle air adjustment for conditions.
Adopt a brand of premium gasoline and a synthetic oil and a ratio and stick to it. Fine tune your jetting from there.
John

Top Bottom