Hatszuki

Jul 13, 2008
I bought a 74 ts250l and it has not run in 8 years or so. I got it cheap so i figured what the hell. I have knowledge of working on bikes but never a two stroke.I been having problems getting it running. I have removed all the rust (surface rust)from the tank and have cleaned carb 3 times now and changed fuel filter twice, got a new petcock and sprk plug too. :bang: The bike will not run with the choke off and although i can get some rpm's out of it , it's not running out like it should. It seems to bog out and will not get anywhere near red line. I have been running 32:1 premix as the CCI system doesn't seem to be working . I think the throttle cable might have something to do with that as the locking piece into the throttle has been broke. Anyways what should i do next? It did run great before it was parked supposedly. Thanks in advance.
Hatzuki

chicoman

Uhhh...
Nov 14, 2006
If the engine is horribly worn out than it could behave like you describe, but if it has decent compression than it's not getting enough fuel (needing the choke to run is your clue). Your on the right track with the fuel filter, petcock, and carb-cleaning but you must have missed something. Is the float level correct? could there be a varnish buildup in the jet passages? I'm a fan of oil injection and think they should be kept in tact if possible, but I think if air gets into the system then they'll stop working and will need to be bled. best luck.

Hatszuki

Jul 13, 2008
I think tomorrow i will buy another compression tester and check it again . I guess it could be enough to start and run but not enough to create a good vacuum for the fuel mix. Does anyone know where about the psi reading should be? I'm thinking over 100 psi . I guess maybe if i buy a manual too it may show how much it needs. I've done a lot of reading today on the net and it seems like i got away from the basics...like the compression test and buying a manual. So i'll get those and go from there. I have read that maybe crank seals could be bad and leaking too. With the bike being 34 years old and showing 10k miles it might need done. I have racked my brain so much and its been frustrating me, seems so simple but i will figure it out even if the whole thing needs to come apart and rebuilt. The bike might not be worth being rebuilt but i will feel better about myself when it runs good again. Rebuilding will be a new experience for me. I'll probably end up having way more in it than its worth but thats the norm for me so far. As for the oil injection i'll get it bled after the bike is in a good running state.

Top Bottom