MX 175 --- premix in magneto cover?

Colorado

Apr 2, 2005
Hi all!
Long time since I've been here. The bikes didn't make it out of the shed for over two years, so decided to sell a couple.
I have a '79 MX175 that I removed the autolube from and ran premix. I pulled it out, cleaned the carb, put in a 32:1 Bell Ray premix and it started right up.
I dialed in the idle and pilot and had it running quite good, it seemed, so I listed it for sale. Then I connected the airbox boot, which I hadn't gotten around to. I also mixed up some other premix at 32:1 with Klotz Techniplate right about that time ---- one or the other created rich running conditions, fouled plugs, and trouble. Then we had a brief monsoon season so I didn't mess with it, and got busy with other things.
Last week I started wondering if maybe my premix had been more the problem than the airbox, so mixed some at 20:1 with the Klotz, which is close to the ratio the autolube would have injected oil --- and the old school Klotz could have made me run richer than the more modern Bell Ray.
Suddenly though, no spark! --- but I noticed, when I kicked it, that drops of gas seemed to be coming from the bottom of the magneto cover. I pulled it off, and sho' 'nuff, it was full of premix --- so I was getting no primary spark to the CDI.
I sprayed some electical parts cleaner in there, but still don't have spark --- probably will have to pull the magneto cover/flywheel and check coil resistance, but don't even want to bother if I have to put much money into the thing. I'll be lucky to get $500 for the bike with it running good.
My kickstand is bent, so the bike lays over pretty far when parked. The petcock got left open after I showed it to a potential buyer, and I'm assuming gas was flowing through the carb while it sat around for a couple of weeks.
I just don't know why it ended up in the magneto area.
Any ideas?
Should I just rry to get $200 for it, as is, and say good ridance?

490Dave

Mar 18, 2003
If it's worth putting a price on, maybe it's worth trying to fix. Otherwise if you really need the money then try to sell it as is... otherwise just give it to the kid who mows your lawn or something like that.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Attempting to jet with out the air box connected, ALL the parts, was an error. Replace the float valve, jet it and sell it for top dollar. I do not believe the seal is bad either. That seal should hold a few psi only, a case full of fuel and a good kick would push it past the seal.

Top Bottom