MXFastGuy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 11, 2001
Okay mods, I posted this in the Mini forum and didn't get any response from the young pups and mini dads, so I'd like to give it a try here:

I have an idea: What if you dropped the whole airbox from the TT-R 125 and just ran one of those pod-style air filters that slips right on the carb. It would eliminate a lot of weight, and would seem to give an endless supply of air. I have seen this setup on some modded XR80's. Or does the TT-R need the "venturi" effect of ramming the air into the carb?

I've done all the airbox/filter mods and it made a difference, but I'm wondering if it still needs more air.

Am I onto something? Please give me some feedback before I dump more money and time into that :p of a little bike :)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by MXFastGuy
Am I onto something? Please give me some feedback before I dump more money and time into that :p of a little bike :)

Take a close look at the tube leading from the carb to the airbox, it's part of the tuned length of the intake. Removing it will work but you'll move the intake tuning to a much higher rpm. If you have components to match (exhaust, cam) this rpm it will work great. If not you'll likely just end up with the intake out of tune with the exhaust and put a big trough in the low rpm torque curve.

I'm in the process of running a few tests with and without the airbox, but it will be a month or so before I have any hard data to share.

If you decide to try it let us know how it works out.

DualSportr

Aug 22, 2000
Thanks Rich - so often people do this 'hop up' without realizing that the intake tract is in fact part of the tuned length.

It's sometimes hard to realize how much these external components can affect how the engine internals generate power!

ACS

Apr 17, 2001
Dont bother doing the pod airfilter mod.

I have tried it with a stock carb and a 24 and then a 26mm mukini. Bike is MXed and is modified. Spent two days with jets needles etc and didnt get any improvement over the stock tube with the pod. The top end was not improved either. The stock tube flows well enough. We ran the bike on a dyno and checked the track testing and with no airbox / tube (straight carb) and jetting adjustments we didnt get any improvement in the top end and bottom was missing a lot. Whole thing was a waste of time actually. Looking at the stock tube it looks restrictive but it is actually pretty good.

On XR80 / 100's the tube on late mod bikes is restrictive and they respond well to pod aircleaners but you need to do a lot of jetting work.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom