Nov 28, 2006
Hey all,

I havent been on here in a while because I've been busy with moving into college but I just got home on a break and started up the bike for the first time in a while.. Didn't go over so well.

I can't get the tuning right. This is my first bike and I'm new to dirt biking, dont have anyone to learn from, Dad doesnt ride and we are both figuring out this bike together. I've learned things like maintaining the battery and cleaning the air filter but I don't know anything about tuning the bike.

Basically the only way I could get it to run fine was by turning the idle speed all the way down to zero (yes so that it wouldnt idle) and then pulling out the choke and running the bike off of the choke. That's probably a sin to all you hardcore bikers but I get great idle speed, throttle response, and control of the engine speed that way and I dont know what to do otherwise.

I don't know anything about the idle speed and choke and the different screws and just TUNING in general but I can't find a good website to explain it. I know its one of those basic things that you all probably know but I'm in the dark, can you give me a link to a good website or maybe even if you have some time could you explain it to me?

Thank you

Isobareng

Oct 16, 2007
The jets in your carb are clogged clean them and before you store your bike (for more then a week) drain the carb so the old gas doesn't gum up the jets again in the future.

Hope this helps

D

Nov 28, 2006
Hmm okay. How do i do that? I searched the forums and I can't find any links about cleaning the jets, maybe I just missed them, any moderators know where to point me?

Also how do i drain the carb? Just kick it over without the fuel line open?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Start by going down to your local yamaha dealer and getting a service manual. None of us have the time to sit here and give you a step-by-step. There's a good possibility the fuel has gunked up in the bowl. Did the bike always run better with choke on? This is a sign of a lean pilot circuit. There is a screw on the bottom front of the carb, that is the fuel screw. Turning out=richer, turning in=leaner. If it runs better on choke, richen it. Go in quarter turn increments, retesting on a fully warm engine each time. The manual will show you how to remove/disassemble the carb for cleaning. There is also a section on jetting. Good luck!

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I'd clean the carb jets first, then tune it. If you tune it with clogged jets, you are fighting an uphill battle. Good luck

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
It is a Keihin FCR no? There is a nifty little needle tool that comes in handy for changing the needle on the bike. Off the bike you don't need it, simply turn the carb upside down. This tool was in the bag with my manual when I picked up the bike. Other than that just basic tools.

Nov 28, 2006
Okay I took the carb off, got it cleaned by the pros at Yamaha, and then put it back on my bike... Runs the same. Now what?

Do i need to mess with the pilot screw?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom