turning a kdx into a dual purpose?

cudatd

Apr 20, 2005
hey, iam a new member here. i currently ride a 1992 xr 200. but iam planing on buying a 2005 kdx220. i was just wondering if the kdx would be alright to make it street legal? the dealer told me it i shouldnt have any problems as long as im not redlineing it all the time. if anyone owns a 2005 kdx220 i would like some feedback before i go buy one. thanks

Feanor

Aug 10, 2004
I wish I could help you, but I live in California and would have more luck making my 25cc weed whacker street legal than any 2-stroke motorcycle! :(

Are the laws governing 2-strokes more relaxed in Canada?

Good Luck!

Feanor

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Shouldn't be a problem. Right now I'm looking into getting my GasGas licensed for the road (need to get to work all summer, and it'd be sweet for connecting trails). I would go down to your local motor vehicle office (ICBC in BC, don't know about other provinces) and talk to the people. Check out Baja Designs for dual sport kits.

kx200

Feb 1, 2001
I have a 1997 220 and here are some of the mods that help. Put a rev pipe on it and keep the stock silencer, its quiet. I also put in a bigger lighting coil and use a LED stop light. As far as gearing I have had good luck with a 15/45 combo.

KC17

Apr 9, 2005
What state are you in? Me and a couple buddies just got KDX plate holder, dual filiment rear bulb socket, LED brake light, brake pressure switch for the brake light, wired up and we're good to go! I think we still need DOT approved tires and a horn to be 100% legal in Michigan, but were good enough for trail riding up north. Got the parts from www.fourstrokesonly.com, 818-765-5616 - obviously they're NOT four strokes only!

KC

TeamFrog

May 21, 2004
KC17 said:
What state are you in? Me and a couple buddies just got KDX plate holder, dual filiment rear bulb socket, LED brake light, brake pressure switch for the brake light, wired up and we're good to go! I think we still need DOT approved tires and a horn to be 100% legal in Michigan, but were good enough for trail riding up north. Got the parts from www.fourstrokesonly.com, 818-765-5616 - obviously they're NOT four strokes only!

KC

KC,

Do you know the actual part numbers for the parts you ordered? I'm trying to hook my buddy up with a minimalist kit for his '04 KDX200 and was struggling with that web site. I just don't want to lead him down the wrong path and have him buy parts that are not compatible. If you could list the part numbers off of the invoice, that would very helpful (and appreciated).

Jeff

hart125

Dec 11, 2003
Just made my 98 200 street legal with the bajadesigns.com kit and with stator rewind they offer. They have been great about warranty and offer a great product.. expensive though mine was over 500 total.

rxraptor02

Aug 7, 2004
I have a 94 kdx200 and am currently converting the bike into a dual sport machine.

I live in Michigan and went to the S.O.S and got the form that list the requirements to do so.

I did not buy the complete kit, but I am peicing it together. So far I have bought the UFO headlight with the hi/lo beams and a handlebar switch. I have that all wired up and am currently waiting on the brake light switch. The trail light switch that I orderd uses the a resistor to cut the watts of the stock tail light until the brake lever is pressed allowing the full 12 wats to the bulb.

All I need now is a mirror and horn and some good dual sport tires.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
I ride with someone on a KDX200 (2002 model I think). She has it street legal and is quite happy with it. I don't know the specifics of the lighting she used, but I think it is from Baja Designs.

good lcuk

Waffle

Oct 19, 2004
I made my 04 200 street legal in NH for about $50. I bought a hydraulic brake light switch that replaces the banjo bolt on the front brake master cylinder. Ordered it from Dennis Kirk, but you can get them just about anywhere. What you want is the 10mm x 1.25mm thread pitch. Cost about $15. I got two 1157 LED lights (replicates a double filament bulb) off Eb@y for $12 shipped. Bought an 1157 housing at Autozone for $3. Ordered the UFO folding rear view mirror from Dennis Kirk $15. A trip to Radio shack got me all the wire and connectors I needed for $5. A cheepo bike horn from Walmart rounded out the whole deal.

That was all I needed for NH. I can't take it on any limited access highways (would be crazy to do that anyway! and why would you want to in the first place.) because I don't have DOT legal tires. And luckily NH only requires you to have the brake light wired to one set of brakes because you cannot fit the banjo bolt pressure switch under the rear fluid resevoir without relocating it. Dennis Kirk and Fredette racing have plunger switches for the rear brake with a cable and spring assembly that runs down to your brake pedal but those set-ups look way to fragile and vulnerable for the Eastern woods. Wouldn't last one ride around here.

I spliced into the tailight power feed and ran a line up to the pressure switch then back to the second circuit in the LED tailight. Simple and efficient. Took me a couple hours on a rainy, miserable early spring Saturday. I was going to go with the resistor setup and the single filament bulb but for a couple bucks more I have a set-up that works the way it's supposed to. And besides, the LED's are much brighter and draw way less power.

Greg716

Mar 27, 2005
Simple kit

Here's a relatively simple kit that may work. I was thinking of getting it for my KDX200:
http://www.procycle.us/main/dskit.htm

The cost is a bit more than the person who put it all together themself, but quite a bit cheaper than Baja Designs. For me the purpose is solely about getting the bike registered with a plate. I doubt I'll actually use the stuff outside of the odd fire-road to connect trails.

Associate01

Jan 26, 2001
So apparently some of us here in the US can street legal a 2 stroke.....? If so, can you transfer a bike from a different state that is already plated, and re-register it here in Cali?

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
Don't know about Cali, but in VA and FL,if its plated in a different state it can transfer into these states without trouble, even if the plating process in the other states is different than these states. CA may be different in that they have different emmisions laws than other states - how does it work if you want to bring in a 49 state street bike? I imagine you would be in the same situtation.

good luck

KC17

Apr 9, 2005
There are really 2 issues for plating... one is getting the plate from SOS and two is the actrual bike mods. In MI it is very easy to get the plate, just need any cop (uncle Bob?) to sign off on a form listing the mods. Whether or not you do the mods may doesn't matter if the cop doesn't care.

I've gotten pulled over 3 or 4 times by DNR, they saw my plate and waved me buy. But I don't ride in rush hour either, ?I just leave the trail for gas etc. Now if they wanted to get picky, they could've ticked me for non DOT tires, no horn, no high beam, no plate light and they could even whip out the SPL meter and measure my pipe dB's if they wanted!!

Jeff - I can't find the invoice, anyway I just called and said I wanted a plate holder, dual filimant rear socket, pressure switch and wire harness for an 04 KDX 220, and it was no problem.

Kevin

Top Bottom