kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
Well the family and I decided to celebrate part of Father's Day on Saturday, so the guilt factor played a part in my late Saturday departure. After broadsiding 4 rabbits on my drive out to Red Mountain in the middle of the night, I arrived at camp by 12:30am. I parked way away from the rest of the club parking so as not to awake everyone while I unloaded and pounded in stakes to secure the easy-up.
Sunday morning temps and ride temps were absolutely stellar, and since the club forecasted temps to be unbearable they moved the Keytime up to 8am and had a nice reset/water stop for everyone after 12 or miles. I thought that was a good idea for future hot weather races.
The race course started with a nice 2.6 mile ride down the pipeline road. This gave everyone ample time to warm up for the upcoming portion through the sandhills. I can't imagine what I would have done on a Maxxis IT, or any other intermediate tire for that matter. Luckily, I left my S12 on for one last race, and I needed it. Eighty percent of the course was deep sand. The organizers gave us all a specific course marker when a sand uphill was approaching, and if you did not look out for the warning, you would experience bogged down hell.
Also because of the predicted heat they arranged the course to be literally a 12 mile loop racetrack. I had a blast getting acquainted with the same terrain for what was almost 4 laps/loops.
After finishing I rode back to camp to find Capt Jack and wifey out for a playride,, but had to hurry up and get home to spend the rest of Sunday with family.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
You're new tag line sounds vaguely familiar !

Really bummed I missed the Hi Dez. Sounds like the best sand race yet. TWMC has been a real bust for me this year ... scheduling conflicts, bike issues, etc, etc, etc. Can't wait for a fresh start next year. I'm in for the Ghost Rider for sure this year though ... we should start scouting over the summer. Screw the weather .... let's ride !

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
My drive took me near the enduro area as I was on my way to Kernville to do a little whitewater rafting with my daughter(yeah, it was wet and cold). Seeing that the temps were so reasonable, I wondered if I should have done this one. Heck, I think I could have done both.

Maybe next year................ :ahhh:

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
I know how you feel .... :ahhh:

Do both ? You've made quite a recovery ! :cool:

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
Good job Scott!

My brain has switched gears until Kennedy. I took the ski to the lake for a few hours instead. I shoulda went to the dez.

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Great ride Scott, it looks like you posted a second place finish :nod: :) Way to go.

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
kelsorat said:
Thanks fellas, don't know quite how I did that.

Strong the force is with you. Finish you must, second you will get. A new knucklehead points leader I sense has been established. Welcome to the dark side point Nazi. :blah:

Top Bottom