brett r

Nov 6, 2000
I thought that was a great race.It was not as easy as they said it would be,the first loop was a timekeeper on the second loop I had to push in places the third loop was a desert race. I dropped a bunch of seconds but no minutes on the first 2 loops.

On the third loop I crashed on the downhill right in front of the guy taking pictures,I got up and had almost no rear brakes I did not have time to stop I was already late so I just kept going,I went across the flat stuff with my bike in 5th wide open it would not go any faster. When we got to the expert special at the end I almost had no clutch but was able to finish.At the finish I looked at my bike and it had a big hole in the clutch cover and the oil was coming out getting all over the rear brakes.

After everyone finished we were able to figure out that I was the only one that only dropped 1 minute on the third loop,so I get towed back to camp thinking I had the overall,if I ruined my new bike at least it was for a good cause when I get get to camp everyone was congratulating me on the ride,then I go into tim's trailer and they are putting the scores into the computer they have a bunch of people that missed a check on the second loop,They get to my card and I end up being one of those people,so I went from first to worst,next race I may oil my rear brake before the race, it seemed to make me a little faster in this one.

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Any idea where the missed check was?

It was great to get back out there. Other than going off course I had a great time. Unfortunately I also took Holeshot with me on my off course excursion. Hopefully he will come back out and try it again.

I would also like to thank Placelast and Thumbs for dinner. It was great.

Jeff

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
I had a blast! The course was perfect with the exception of being poorly marked at one point. I think the 2nd check was in the sand wash that a few people missed. I placed 6th of 23 in my class and 7th of 28 over all. My score was 8:0485. I'm sure that I could have done a bit better if didn't stop so often to check my sundial and yard stick to see if I was late or early. I might trade them in for one of those fancy computers like everyone else has.

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Originally posted by thumbs
I think the 2nd check was in the sand wash that a few people missed.

dang.... I dont remember that check and I didnt stick around for the results. So I dont know if I passed it or not.

By the way... There isnt really anything much more depressing than getting passed in the middle of the desert by a kid half my height on a YZ80

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
Originally posted by RMjeff
By the way... There isnt really anything much more depressing than getting passed in the middle of the desert by a kid half my height on a YZ80
Jeff, don't be so hard on yourself. I passed that kid and I would say that he was at least 3/4 your height... it was his bike that was 1/4 as big as yours:p

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000

The Wicked Bird was a good layout, and for the most part, seemed well run. On the first loop, I started on the same minute as Placelast, but got stuck behind someone stalled in the rocks. A few minutes later, I came across LP casually responding to Mother Nature's calling, as if to say, "What's been takin' you so long?" At one point, I thought I had him behind me (the speeds were easy the first loop) and then suddenly he was transported ahead of me. I later realized it was Lastplace Jr. - I think these guys dress alike just to confuse everybody.:confused:

I remember following another RM rider for a distance and then realizing I hadn't seen ribbon in a while. When the rider stopped, I could see it was RMjeff, so I asked "Where's the ribbon?" "Dunno, I haven't seen any in while". :) We backtracked and found the course about a half a mile back. Everyone's on his own in an Enduro.

On the second loop, I came across an unmanned check, so I continued a bit further and two guys popped up from their hiding place behind a bush - now that was funny. One of them said that I missed a check, but I claimed that there was no one there (assisting a rider perhaps?). We looked at the card of the person behind me and he had missed the same check. Maybe we both goofed (I got off course not long before that, but thought I had picked up where I left off)

Halfway through the second loop, everything started to fall apart. I stalled it in the rocks, but that was the good part.

I was a few minutes behind, so I (irrationally) decided to go as fast as possible for the last mile, so right near the end, I nailed it, jumping into a small rock ravine, hitting a rock ledge at the bottom and launching myself over the bars into a granite wall. I thought I was gonna die :D but granite must have some absorbtion properties, cuz I only recieved a flesh wound. I kicked for at least five minutes before I realized I had the choke on instead of the hot start (that's my story, anyway).

After I restarted and re-assembled my roll chart holder, I went around the corner to what I thought was the last check, and off into the pits. I later found out that the novices were supposed to start the third loop and go to the first check - I guess I missed the instruction at the rider's meeting. To say I was little PO'd would be an understatement - it seemed to cast a black cloud over the day.

Someone might say that I've developed an attitude because my arm looks like raw hamburger, my bike looks like a Taliban war vehicle and I houred out without even knowing it. You might be right. :D

After the Enduro, I swore that I'd put my Enduro paraphanalia into a little box and stash it away so that I would never find it again - but you never know...

Thanks to Placelast, PL Jr, PL shorty, Thumbs, RMjeff, Eel, Brettr, et all for making it all worthwhile.:cool:

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
You know I would love to say it was the non-existent straight line stability on my RM or the fact that I was just tired.............Nope Its just those straight across the desert wide open trenches scare the crap outta me.I dont know how you guys stay on those lines without falling.

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
Re: .

Originally posted by holeshot
I later realized it was Lastplace Jr. - I think these guys dress alike just to confuse everybody.:confused:

Yep, I think the same thing.
Everyone's on his own in an Enduro.
Aint that the truth. One of the guys on my minute asked where my buddy (CPTjack) was at the start of the second loop. My response was "I dunno, this is a race, I've only been looking ahead of me."
I continued a bit further and two guys popped up from their hiding place behind a bush - now that was funny.
I remember these two fellas. I think it was a father and son team. They had their bikes laid flat on the ground and covered with some bushes. I was no more that 15 yards from them when they popped up out of the bushes like a ....... well, I don't know but like something that pops up out of nowhere.

After the Enduro, I swore that I'd put my Enduro paraphanalia into a little box and stash it away so that I would never find it again - but you never know...
Whatever ......see ya at the next enduro;)

Last edited:

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Brett - sorry to hear about your bike. I wonder how any of 'em can stand up to how hard you ride 'em. Anyway, I DNF'd as well. I missed the 2nd check. I hope you weren't too pissed that I didn't follow your lead - I just felt more comfortable tryin' to ride a little hot when it was easy since I know I won't always be able to keep up the speeds when it gets tough. Hope I didn't foul you up ...

Thumbs - FYI you placed 7th overall among the Novices and Super Seniors - not overall among all the riders that raced. They group the Nov's and SS's in one category - so our overall scores do not include the Amateurs, Experts or Masters classes. By the way - great ridin' - you kicked butt !

Holeshot and Jeff - "Live and Learn" seemed to be the catch phrase for the day. We all have a learning curve and we'll get better each time we accept the challenge. Personally - I need some serious practice on my clutch work - I stalled about a dozen times in the tight stuff. I also realized it's sometimes better to slow down and check your surroundings before you go full steam ahead. If I had, I wouldn't have missed that darn check and wouldn't have gone off course in the same spot twice in a row !

I think the race was great though it seems there were some problems with people missing checks. I'm not gonna complain about this until I have personally gone through the trouble of setting up a race myself. These guys do it for free and I think it's worth every penny I pay every time. No other club around here is gonna give you the same opportunities on such a frequent basis. Face it - the club rocks !

Enough of my preachin' and I just have one more thing to say .... I'll be back !

mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
Sounds like it was a good one. I had every intention of making it, but my best friends birthday was on Sat. His wife and mine supprised us both with tickets to the Family Values concert.:cool: So after that and the partying afterwards, Sun. was a hangover day for me.
So i`ll hook up with you guys on the next one.

later mxbundy

P.S. Whats up for this coming weekend?With all this rain, conditions will be awesome.:p

brett r

Nov 6, 2000
Sounds like you guys missed the same check I did, I was on minute 1 so I thought I may have beat the checker to the check but we checked Eric's card and he got it.

Eric the problem with passing me in the slow stuff is that when we go into the special tests I have to try and get around you without knocking you over when the speeds pick up. Imagine riding with Jason and on every fireroad he passes you then when you go into the tests and the speeds pick up you not only have deal with a harder course but you have to somehow pass him, thats why Twmc puts an exp, ama & nov all on the same minute.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Cool ... I get it. Next time I'll just follow and learn. sorry bud ... :(

brett r

Nov 6, 2000
E,
I run on time in the flats because sometimes they hide in the bushes, like Danny did 3rd check 2nd loop if we were running hot he would have nailed us he jumped up from behind the bush and I did not even see him, it's even easier for them because we were on the first min.

If there is no possible you can run hot and try and get a good start in a test but it's risky because they can push the check up a tenth and get you that way and they won't put the check where you can see it.If I burn one my race is over there is no way I can make up 2 minutes on those guys. See you at Jawbone.

Top Bottom