Two answers to the same question...

kmx125r

~SPONSOR~
May 23, 2000
Hey All,

I came across two separate threads on this forum asking about aligning forks and front wheels... (apparently kicking your front tire into position after you dump it is not the best procedure!)

My concern is that both very knowlegeable persons had conflicting torque specs on the triple clamps. Actually the texts of the procedure were IDENTICAL except for the torque specs. Can someone address the issue? I have my bike sitting in the shop with the front end in the air waiting on the answer...

One answer had the following specs:

TOP CLAMP 280 inch pounds

BOTTOM CLAMP 220 inch pounds

The other:

TOP CLAMP 220 inch pounds

BOTTOM CLAMP 168 inch pounds

Any guidance would be appreciated...

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
That is waaaaay too much pressure on the "pinch" bolts on the triple clamp. I have always seen between 14 and 17 foot pounds of torque for triple clamp bolts. I know of two people that have had to replace a clamp from torquing it down to tight and splitting the clamp.

kmx125r

~SPONSOR~
May 23, 2000
Thanks guys for yor replies... That helps me out...

By the way, 168 inch pounds = 14 foot pounds
204 inch pounds = 17 foot pounds

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
I think it will vary slightly from manufacturer to manufacturer. The 14/17 sounds about right though. My CR uses 20/22 Nm...just to throw another measurement into the fray ;)

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
The top pinch bolts can be tighter than the bottom ones. The lower ones can distort the tubes and affect the internals but the upper ones clamp against the end plug and are less likely to distort anything.

Top Bottom