Two Wireless Routers, One Network

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
Hey ya'll-
Here's my issue. We've got an SMC Barricade wireless router now hooked up to a cable moden , and it sucks. The router (cable is fine) will freeze when you try to transfer big files, it needs to be restarted (unplugged and replugged) as often as every 20 minutes. This isn't normal with wireless routers, right? The range with it isn't very good either. So right now it's in our basement, etherneted to a PC desktop, but we use the wireless network essentially on the opposite side of the house...What we'd like to do is:
1. Have all the computers on one network so we can transfer files, etc.
2. Have strong signal all over the house.
3. Have a system that is consistent

So...can we have a wireless router in the basement and one upstairs? How would we get them to be on the same network if they're using different cable modems? Can you have two cable modems anyways..? Would it be worth getting 802.11g for the next routers anyways...is it the 'future' standard? Those questions should keep you occupied for a while. Somebody here should be a network guru. Thanks
-Stephen

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
I'm not real informed on the wireless packages, but in my household we use single cable modem connected to Linksys BEFSR41 Cable/DSL Router. The router is configured as DHCP server and is linked to other computers with cat5 cable and network adapter cards. For long stretches of cat5 cable length, have 4 port switch in the middle and can plug the laptop computer into switch. With this configuration only the modem and router need to be on for any computer to connect to internet. All computers have TCP/IP settings set to "obtain an IP address automatically".

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Eddie ~ ROFLMAO!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :thumb: :worship:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by MrLuckey
Seeing as how you attend the very best high school in the country I would think someone there could anser this for you :confused:

MAN, that came back to bite him in the ass WAY QUICKER than I expected. :yeehaw: :aj: For you Eddie :thumb:

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
Great, the first time I'm serious and everyone else is clowning ;) I'm going back to the places to ride forum :)

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Dude... ask the best teacher at the best high school in the best country in the best state in the best county in the best city.... (*gotta get a breath in here... I went to a sub-standard athletic school *).... IN THE WORLD!

Better yet... why do you have to ask the question in the first place?!?  You should know the answer from your superior schooling...  Loose the tude dude.  You have much to learn and "the best HS" won't teach it to you!  Life will!

Don't take all these comments in a negative way... it's just a bunch of life experienced people trying to point out some concepts that will help you through life.  :thumb:

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Dose the SMC unit have external antenas?
If so you can check into a better antenna.
We ran an SMC wireless AP here in an open air out door run of over 200 feet for about 2 years and the unit just last week finally died in a power surge.
That being said, at home I use Linksys Wirelsess cable DSL router with the fire wall built in and the 4 port 10/100 switch and it has worked very well with good range.
For a multi floor setup I recomend placing the wireless unit in the top floor near the floor in the center of the house, run your RJ45 eathernet cabel to the wireless AP unless a cable outlet is near then put your router there too. If you still get bad connections youll have to zone the house. probably up and downstiars or in vertical halves. The best solution is to use a newer product called a wireless repeater, it just needs to be plugged into wall power, it pickes up the main wireless AP signal, boost it and re transmitts it. You can also get a Zoom air wirless AP and they offer a complete line of antennas, I tink the indoor omnidirectional 12 Db antenna is like $80, we use the Zoom air units for out door wireless bridgeing up to 2 miles with their outdoor 13 Db directional antennas. 802.11b is the current standard with file transfers at about 11 mb/s, if your starting out from the ground up the new standard is 802.11 g and it offers 54 Mb/s rates and I know Linksys new G line is backwards compatible with ALL 802.11b DSSS systems.
There is NO need for a second router or modem, you just need to relocate or extend your WiFi.
On CDW a D-link repeater is $75, if the SMC router is a POS then I would recomend the Linksys Wireless AP/ router, its available in the new faster standard but Im not sure abot the repeater.

Top Bottom