Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I am usually pretty adept at figuring out pc/network trouble but this one has me stumped and it's annoying the crap out of me.

Out of the blue all of the sudden my Firefox and my e-mail stopped working. It doesn't matter if I use outlook or outlook express from this pc I always get a can't find the server message.

I thought well my router or cable modem are down and need to be rebooted (happens occasionally) so I reboot both. Again no go, so now to confirm that the internet must be down I try one of the other 2 pc's in the house and bang everything works. So I reboot my pc and try a reboot of the modem/router once again. Still no go. Then on this machine that Firefox and e-mail aren't working I try IE and it works fine. :bang:

I'm at a total loss, If I import the e-mail account settings to either of the other two machines they work fine. I have no firewall software running that could be blocking the traffic. My router D-link DI-524 does run a firewall but I see nothing changed in the settings.

Any ideas?

EDIT - I also just attempted to use windows update and got an error that should be related to a naming problem and advised to check the hosts file to make sure it doesn't have a static IP set for the page. I don't seem to have a hosts file, just a sample file called lmhosts.sam

Last edited:

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
If you had a hosts file, it would be in the same directory (\Windows\System32\drivers\etc).

What do you have in your TCP/IP settings?

Can you ping your router? Something like:
ping 192.168.1.1

If that works, can you ping DRN by IP:
ping 67.19.32.101

If that works, can you ping DRN by name:
ping dirtrider.net

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Thanks Gomer, sometimes all it takes is someone who's thinking clearly and not frustrated after a lack of sleep coming off a night shift. As soon as you mentioned the TCP/IP settings I recalled that we enterd the DNS servers IP addresses a long while back when my ISP was having problems. Changed it back to auto detect DNS servers and it's all good to go.

Something I should have caught but I let frustration get the better of me.

Thanks again.

Top Bottom