5. Mike LaRocco
6. Nick Wey
7. Mike Brown
8. Tim Ferry
9. Travis Pastrana
10. Darcy Lange
11. Brock Sellards
12. Ryan Clark

Overall: ( I can't find overall results past the top 5 yet...)

1. Carmichael - 1-1
2. McGrath - 4-2
3. Windham - 5-3
4. LaRocco - 3-5
5. Ferry - 2-8

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Was that exciting or what?

Wish I had been there, from the sounds of it, it had to be one of the best races in a long time. I'm with the announcers, kind of reminded me of WWF. Can't wait to see it on TV.

I just wonder what MC would have looked like if he had gotten a good start, from the sounds if it he was flying.

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Except for MC moving up and Travis crashing, it was actually very uneventful. MC moving up wasn't all that exciting until he got to
Windham, but even then K-dub was into a major fade, so it wasn't hard for Jeremy to get around.

RC was super smooth and MC looked fast. It was hard to tell who was faster since Jeremy was working hard to move up and Ricky had checked out and wasn't pushing. It was obvious that these two were in a different league.

Travis looked faster than Kevin but he couldn't find a place to pass and finally tried to blitz through the whoops. Typical Travis crash in the whoops, but at least he seemed to keep his head from hitting anything.

The course was longer than last year with an over-under finish line jump, but the first turn was horrible and the winner was pretty much decided in the first 100 yards of each race.

Many people were booing RC at the introduction and after each of his interviews. It appeared to bother him at one point while talking to Jamie Lytle after his heat win.

Jeremy made a bit of an a## of himself after his heat. LaRocco and he had tangled with MC going down. After the finish, Mike rode to the interview area and MC launched his bike up the hill and stopped at the interview spot also. The announcers didn't know what was going on and made mention that this was something strange that they hadn't planned. Mike said during his interview that they had tangled and unforutunately Jeremy went down, but that was racing. Then Jamie talked to Jeremy. It was hard to hear, but he said something to the effect that "that wasn't cool and no matter what Mike said it wasn't right." The crowd began booing at that point for what seemed like a bit of whining. Prior to the race Jeremey had also stated his displeasure with the first turn and the tight track after his experience on Friday. It obviously didn't get better for him on Saturday.

I would imagine that this will be the last U.S. Open that MC attends.

One last note, the arenacross riders didn't fair well and Buddy Antunez didn't qualify for either main. It was, after all, essentially an arenacross track.

The 85's and number 6 on the KTM 65 took part in some of the best racing of the night.

That's enough of my take.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I guess the ears leave a lot to the imagination.

From listening to it on the internet it sounded like it would have been an awsome race. They mentioned that MC was turning 1 second faster lap times than everyone else. I'm curious when I get to see it how much different the race will seem. The sports casting was good!

You could hear all the booing going on which would support the theory that a lot of adolescence attend these events, it's no wonder this sport has such a tough time. Another dissapointment is when a racer gets interviewed such as RC or MC, these guys are extremely wealthy yet they can't hardly speak. I think they could come up with something better than "my dunlops were hooking up really good" & "it was really tough out there, so & so is really riding good" & "I got a bad start." How about what it's like from the racers prospective ie: passing a particular rider, etc. but saying it with a little confidence and enthusiasm. I'd like to hear them sound more educated when it comes to speaking publicly.

Last edited:

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
I've just listened to the first heat race from last night. I can't believe Carmichael caught and passed Ferry. Ferry's on fire, and I thought he'd be the one to beat this year. Just where does that little fart (Ricky) get the gumption he has? I really don't think he's the most talented out there and think that absolutely the thing that makes him faster than everyone else is his desire to be faster. I'm kind of sick of watching it. My hopes are dashed, seeing him come front behind and lay a whoopin' on Ferry.

Me, like a rider on a Yamaha and a 4-stroke?:scream:
You got it. Go Red Dog.:)

Big Tuna

Nov 29, 2000
I didn't get to see or hear the race:( had to work.
I just want to know from those who watched the race, are these results in any way a prelude to the supercross series or was the track just to different from an actuall supercross track to tell if MC is going to be faster this year than he was last year, and if so fast enough? Also does TP look like he's going to be able run with the big boys; I sure hope he can avoid knocking his melon again this year.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Maybe Jeremy's finally getting P.O.ed about losing. Last year he seemed like he was just accepting the inevitable. And getting mad at LaRocco--there may be a little bad blood there from the Suzuki days for both guys. I don't think LaRocco liked being on the same "team" (per se) as McGrath. He went into 97 thinking he'd be the #1 rider and McGrath shows up and they give him everything.

This should be an interesting year in SX!:cool:

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Spoiler alert!

Well, the Open was quite a race. RC is just plain fast. I don't know if I think Jeremy has it any more, which I hate to say since I have been a fan of his since his first pro year. He's fast--he went down in the first turn melee both nights, and charged his way back through the pack--but RC is faster. Travis looked good but Windham was faster. Travis went down once on Friday but not hard.

Sellards had a 200SX! They put a 200 motor in his 125 SX. That thing ripped. I talked to his mechanics a bit and they gave me some jetting tips to try on mine.

Ferry looked awesome! He was hauling ass. He is going to be on fire this season.

You know who really stole the show? Blair Morgan in the four-stroke race. He is a snocrosser, and while I knew he rode mx, I didn't know he was that good. I guess he's a Canadian pro? Anyway, on the CR 450, he spanked the entire field. He was smokin' fast.

Top Bottom