Universal Carbon fiber glide plate or WC aluminum?

timo612

Apr 16, 2004
I have a 04 yz250f and am wanting to purchase a glide plate. I am trying to decide between a Universal carbon fiber glide plate or the Works Connection aluminum glide plate. If anyone has had experiece with either or the equivalent, I would appreciate your input.

Thanks in advance for you help.

TO

MACE

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 13, 1999
Aluminum will last longer. Carbon fiber is not well suited for impact protection. Actually it will take a pretty good hit but the second hit is not resisted so well. The fiber layers delaminate and lose much of the strength. Carbon fiber is not real good as a wear surface either. I design carbon fiber joints for a living. Aluminum is great stuff.

MXreviewer

Jul 10, 2004
I don't recommend carbon fiber glide plates... We have never had good luck with them. Aluminum is much stronger and will last a long time. The few ounces you will save using the carbon fiber plate is not worth the strength and product reliability you give up. Land on a rock while coming up short on a double and that thing is toast. That said we have tested other products from Universal and they do make some great products if they have an aluminum counter part to the carbon fiber plate I would buy it...

Top Bottom