D3luxe

Aug 11, 2007
Not sure how many people here will remember me, but I figured i'd update everyone on the state of my bike.

I got a 1997 RM125 on a friday in august. On that sunday, I had locked the engine up somehow. Had a thread on here about it, got some good advice and what-not. I have been holding out until it starts getting warmer (Or now, as I dont have anymore snowboard gear I need :nod: ), I decided to finally get it rebuilt.

When we tore the engine apart, we found out that the lower connecting rod bearing broke so the rod had about a quarter inch of slack on it to bounce up and down. That caused a couple small dings on the piston, as well as a couple of tiny ones on the crankshaft.

After talking to some people, I found out that the crankshaft is fine..Just needs a new rod/bearing. So, I ordered a new hot rod kit last week.

The kit got here on monday, and I immediately shipped out the crank and the rod kit to Fast Forward Racing down in kentucky. I heard he is very good, and he trues the crank to 0.002". For $50. I talked to him on the phone and he sounds like a good guy. He said as soon as he gets the crank, he will press and align it and ship it back to me same-day. Whoo!

Within a week or two, I am also ordering new crank bearings and a new piston, along with a gasket/oil seal kit. Figured that while I have the engine torn apart, I might as well replace the essentials.

Hoping to have this bike up and running again by the end of february. :ride:

Also, its my birthday in exactly 1 week from today. Seeing as I have had to spend all of my money on getting the bike actually running, most of the things I am asking for is dirt bike related. Boots, jersey, bark busters, stand, chest protector, etc. Already have a helmet, but still need the rest to pull off that official dirt bike rider look :)

D3luxe

Aug 11, 2007
Very nice.

Anyone have an idea where I can get a moose complete gasket kit w/ oil seals for my 97 rm125? I havn't been able to find a kit at a popular store..

Should I actually get the kit with the oil seals, or just get a cometic gasket kit from rockymountain and skip new oil seals? My current ones have no problems with them, IIRC. I know without the oil seals it is $20-$30 cheaper, but while I have everything torn apart I'd rather just replace everything,

kx125412

Mar 30, 2006
If you already have the cases apart definately do the oil seals. It'll save you some trouble in the long run. Also I can get parts for my 89 YZ250 easily and I could still get parts for my old 82 RM125 you should be able to get parts for that bike no problem. There's always the auction site also.

D3luxe

Aug 11, 2007
Looks like I'll probably be ordering the oil seals and the gasket set seperately. I havn't really been able to find a complete kit that has all of the gaskets and the oil seals, but I did find just the seals alone. Getting the seals and gaskets seperate come out to about the same price anyway.

D3luxe

Aug 11, 2007
Ordering the rest of my parts tomorrow!

Whew. Looks like I am FINALLY going to get my bike back up!

Last week I ordered a rod kit and shipped the kit plus my crankshaft out to FastForwardRacing to have the crank aligned and balanced.

Now, tomorrow some time, I am going to get the rest of the stuff ordered. New crank bearings, a new wiseco piston kit, and a gasket/oil seal kit.

My stepdad has a mechanic who is the one who tore my bike apart. Since he is helping out for free, we can't really set a specific deadline for him to have it built by..But hopefully within a week or two of getting him the parts it will be back up.

So, after blowing my bike up after having it for 3 days, and having the engine torn apart for the entire winter, I am finally going to get it back together soon! Just in time too, seeing as in march my friend has a trip planned up north for dirt biking, and I want to go!

Whooo! :) :ride:

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
I hope you have fun with your bike once everything is fixed. I am ordering my parts this week end: includes new crankshaft, piston/rings, timing chain, gaskets, and lots of bearings and seals. Big job ahead, I know how you feel!

D3luxe

Aug 11, 2007
Very nice dude =)

Also, on tuesday it's my birthday, so basically all I asked for was gear...The only thing I have ATM is a helmet, since I have had to dump my money into getting this fixed. Boots, gloves, chest protector, jersey, etc should all be coming soon =)

zaneyzrex

Jan 9, 2007
if ya got a HOT ROD KIT why did ya send it out ? it should already be trued and ready to go. ived used them quite a few times while redoing customers bikes/atvs and never had a problem.
get a complete gasket kit and get a complete seal kit. do it all once since you already have it open. just take your time.
good luck

D3luxe

Aug 11, 2007
What do you mean? How would I have replaced the lower conn rod bearing and the rod without pressing and aligning it?

And yeah, I ordered a complete gasket and seal kit, a new piston kit, and all new crank bearings yesterday so they should be here later this week, along with getting the crankshaft back. Bike should be running again in a week or two, whoo!

zaneyzrex

Jan 9, 2007
D3luxe said:
What do you mean? How would I have replaced the lower conn rod bearing and the rod without pressing and aligning it?

And yeah, I ordered a complete gasket and seal kit, a new piston kit, and all new crank bearings yesterday so they should be here later this week, along with getting the crankshaft back. Bike should be running again in a week or two, whoo!

the HOT ROD kits come with crank/rod already done. you just need new crank bearings,gasket set/seal set, piston kit and time to put it together.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Some bikes you can get a complete engine kit for under 400 dollars, some you can not. Hot rod, like wiseco sell all sorts of different combinations for different makes. Different aftermarket companies offer different kits also. Seemingly motorsport can be good for some stuff and Bob's for other. You are on a computer, and every company I can think of is on here. A guy with a decent deal from a dealer has it made.

D3luxe

Aug 11, 2007
as Fox said, some bikes you can't get that with. Hot rod doesn't make a crankshaft kit for a 97 RM125, neither does any other company besides OEM, so I had to buy just a new rod and have it pressed and aligned into my current crank.

griffbones

Sep 12, 2006
I think the guy that you are sending your crankshaft to, worked with Eric Gorr at Max Power when they first started out in the USA. I think I read this on his web site, if it is true and he really did learn from Eric, then I am sure it is in good hands!

D3luxe

Aug 11, 2007
You are correct, he did work with and is friends with Eric Gorr. It should be back here any day now, so we'll see!

D3luxe

Aug 11, 2007
Got the crank back today, and it looks great. We'll see how it runs once its back in the engine! :)

The rest of the parts should be here within a couple of days, so hopefully the bike will be running soon!

Top Bottom