Upgrade advice needed

olopez4

Apr 1, 2004
Hey guys.

Second year riding and have outgrown two bikes already.
I am an aggressive rider, 5'5' 190 no gear. Strong.

I enjoy technical woods riding and some hill climbing like at Fox Valley IL or Buffalo Range, IL so i don't want to lose that factor of the new bike. I also started to race harescrambles this year so i want the perfect all around bike. I also enjoy doing some minor minor free style which is hard to do with my drz250. What will be a good upgrade? i am looking at something like a used cr250; also the kdx. i was told that i would prob outgrow the kdx as well. i don't want to do that. any thoughts? i will prob have to modify kouba links or suspension or seat on any bike i get cause of my height.

I also thought about some used crf450. they are bad but how is the valves? do i have to adjust them often?
thanks
ovidio

Jeff Sexton

~SPONSOR~
Sep 7, 2001
The KDX200 would be a good step up from the DRZ250 as far as woods riding/hare scrambles goes, but wouldn't be ideal for any kind of free style use. I'd probably go with a 250 2-stroke. I'm kinda partial to the green ones but they're all pretty good.

The 4-strokes rock, but there are definite trade offs. For one, they're a lot more expensive to repair when it's time to rebuild them. Secondly, the maintenance is a little more intense. You don't just "adjust" the valves on modern 4-strokes with a cup and shim setup. Then there's the weight factor and kick start vs. electric.

I tried racing hare scrambles on a 4-stroke 400 with kick start. When you flare it out, and you will from time to time, it can be a real pain to get fired up again.

At 5'5" you may want to consider having a 250 lowered an inch or so. Hope this helps

olopez4

Apr 1, 2004
Thanks man. I am thinking about a cr250 or any mx 250 as of now. I know kouba link can help my situation as well. thanks

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Yeah my fiance just fitted...well i did...kouba links to her klx250...she is the same height as you and she can now manage the bike.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Maybe a GasGas XC200/250 would be the trick? The XC is more motocross oriented yet still a better trail bike than a full blown mx bike. Another option would be a KTM MXC, not sure what size. If not, a 250 mxer with a flywheel wieght and a few other mods should work.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…