MrAWatts

Jul 2, 2005
Hey this is my first post, I have been reading the forums for a while, but have never got around to registering.

Well I my first 2 stroke was a 99 Cr125, I got that after my Xr100 (first bike). I sold the 125 a couple years ago and recently got the desire to get back into riding. Me and my friend went to the local Yamaha dealership and looked at the used stuff they had (we're on budgets). They only had 3 125s, and no 250s. Well one of the 125s had something wrong with the steering, but they said the others run real strong.

Of the 2 125s, one was a 2001 with a pro circuit pipe, silencer, and vforce reeds. The other was a completely stock 2003 125. Before we loaded them up they took both of them into the shop to "service" them, and make sure everything was running. They had them for a good half hour and came out and took them both down the street a few times and they ran nicely.

We got them to my house and unloaded them to have some fun. My friend got on his (the stock 03) and started rinding. No more than 1 minute after he started riding it messed up. Bad. He was in 3rd gear really getting on it and the bike just died and locked up. It was in gear, and turned off, so it just started sliding and he almost wiped out going pretty fast. After he stopped he tried to start it but the kick start will not move down at all. Do you know what could be wrong with it?

My 01 will not idle. The idle screw thing is completely stripped, so it's not moving. It's pretty far out too. So I have to always be on the gas or it dies. Not only that, but when I give it alot of gas coming out of a turn or something it bogs down REAL bad. Anytime I gas it really unless I'm letting off the clutch when I do.

Also, there is no coolant in it, well not now. I think it all leaked out. What type of coolant could I use BTW?

Sorry about the long post, but this is frustrating. The dealer won't be open again till Tuesday so I was hoping I could do something about it tonight. Any help would be appreciated.

KX04

May 29, 2005
dang i think you guys got riped off!!!!!!

No coolent did yur buddies have coolent if it dident that could be the reason it seized up.... what kind of oil are you using in the gas and at what ratio? to little oil or poor quality oil could also cause the the engine to seize

MrAWatts

Jul 2, 2005
Well his bike is full of coolant. I don't know what type of oil was in it, it would have been whatever the people at the Yamaha place put in it, or didnt put in it. I suspected it could be the oil so I called right before they closed and asked what kind of oil to use in it. All the said was 10-w 30 or 10-w 40. We had some 30, some weird brand, and I put that in there since he said anything those weights should work. Well a couple hours later we went out there and tried to kickstart it (about 15 minutes ago) and it moved down, although it takes alot to get it to budge. It moves though. Perhaps that was enough to sort of "lube" up the inside. What type of oil do you recomend? Weight and brand. How about coolant too? Thanks.

MrAWatts

Jul 2, 2005
Well it would have been whatever they had in it. So I'm not to sure.

I bought Yamalube, one of the small bottles (bot sure what size). They said to put the whole thing into a 5 gallon gas tank with premium. Hows that? If that is right should I drain the gas thats in it now and put that in there?

And the shop is called Sehorn Yamaha in Shawnee, Oklahoma.

pace

Nov 21, 2003
It certainly sounds as though your buddy's bike seized. I'd drain a little gas out of his tank and see if it has any coloration (eg. brown/red/purple) indicating the presence of premix, or whether the numbnuts at the dealership dumped straight gasoline into it. Given the symptoms you described, his piston, rings, and quite possibly the cylinder bore have suffered some degree of damage.

Buy yourself a measuring cone. They're cheap, and will allow you to properly meter exactly how much oil you mix into your gas. You should be mixing at 32:1 which works out to approx 0.6 quarts of oil in 5 gallons of gas, I think. Yamalube is fine.

Keep an eye on your coolant level after you top it off. It may not be an external leak. Now's a good time to check your tranny oil level also - change it if there's any discoloration as it may have been in there a while.

The idle screw is not really a critical problem, although it sounds as though you have some jetting issues. There are a number of good jetting resources/guides linked from posts in this forum.

kxmike

Feb 2, 2005
your buddys bike did seize and dont try and kick start it you will only damage it more than what it is. if they put straight gas in the bike it would have siezed when the mechanic rode it. it could have just been from a old top end. on your bike it sounds like your running to lean? on the main jet. take your spark plug off and see what color the electrode is. if it is white you are running lean, if it is black your running rich and if it is a light brownish the jetting is good. the best thing to do is take them back to the dealer and tell them what happened. later

Top Bottom