UT is so freakin' out of touch

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Yes I live the the Austin area but it sure isn't because of the University of Texas. I've never been impressed with the school, their politics, or the image they try to project. This pretty much takes the cake.

http://www.news8austin.com/content/top_stories/default.asp?ArID=260822

Of course when you add on that they are holding an annual meeting for school regents / presidents (and associated staff) at a very exclusive resort here in the area (go figure they can't meet on campus?) I guess that's the first sign of being out of touch. Oh and they have been laying off support staff because of the economic downturn yet they are hiring professors and giving raises to other senior (over paid) staff. The most recent is the football coach that got a $2M / yr. raise yesterday.

http://www.news8austin.com/content/top_stories/default.asp?ArID=260758

http://www.news8austin.com/content/top_stories/default.asp?ArID=260803

It just makes me laugh all the more when this type of stuff goes on yet the "educated" burnt orange sheep keep thinking the school can do no wrong.

Last edited:

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
That's typical of academia...out of touch...and they are teaching our kids :( They don't think $9200 is a big deal but I could buy a nice new KTM and all new gear with that. Save that money and meet in an empty classroom, for crying out loud!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
$9,200 could be tuition for a need based applicant. It could buy lab supplies. It could do a lot of things yet it's seen as an insignificant expense. Of course they are also talking about raising costs for students again...

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
It's just like the stimulus spending. It's only $200,000 to study the sex lives of birds and rats (yes this was a real pork item) so what's the big deal in the grand scheme of $1 trillion? It's pretty sad.

fatcat216v2

Aug 29, 2009
Patman said:
http://www.news8austin.com/content/top_stories/default.asp?ArID=260803

Texas coach Mack Brown is now a $5 million man
12/9/2009 9:04 PM
By: News 8 Austin Staff

With the Longhorns playing for the BCS national championship, school officials said Wednesday they have restructured his contract to raise his salary from $3 million to $5 million.

Brown was to receive a one-time $2 million payment early next year and school officials have now built that into the life of his contract, which runs through 2016. The length of the contract has not changed.

Texas plays Alabama on Jan. 7 at the Rose Bowl for the BCS championship.

Copyright 2009 Associated Press, All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

I always thought it was great how Barry Alvarez collected four or more salaries at once. (I have to admit the following are thoughts shared with me by an academician- so- they aren't all heads in the sand...) Barry's fame (as a football coach) could bring him say, to La Crosse, or who knows where- he gets a speaking fee, nope- not payable to the State of WI or even the UW system...Ditto the TV show..... Meanwhile, he was also collecting the Head Coaching salary and the Athletic Director salary simultaneously. Nice. I sure wish I could go out and speak about the company I work for- anywhere I want, even on t.v., pocket the fees, and collect two fulltime salaries while only putting in part days at either (because of course, I'm out also out doing t.v. shows, and speaking appearances, etc.) Neato! Really nice trick...totally unconscionable but hey, why should someone teaching our kids have ethics, eh?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
One of my guys at work has a group that works one of the many, many concession stands at the football games. They do it not for pocket money but to support the efforts of their mens church group. They get to make a whopping 10% of the take... after any shortages, additional inventory items, etc... are taken out of their cut 100%. So for each $7 soda they might make $0.70 if everything is perfect.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom