V Force reeds

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
Yep, don't know why it's not in the application guide but listed in their online shop - v2m031. I have one on my H ('03) as do several others around here.

Best,
Greg

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Not only is the answer, 'Yes.' but they make two different specifications of reed for their cage that fits the 'H' model.

In addition to changing the tension on the reeds by moving the reed stop (mounting strip) you can also have either lo or hi tension reeds installed.

Take your pick. MT recommends the 'high'er tension reed with the 'low'er tension stop (it's gray in color). They changed the reed composition to increase reed life.

Certainly make your own choice. I tried the 'high'er tension reeds and didn't care for them. That means I'm using the UNrecommended setup of the 'low'er tension reed with the 'low'er (gray in color) tension stop.

If you order reeds from MT, make sure you talk to Jeff! You may not get the correct parts otherwise. You won't know the difference between the high/lo reeds unless you:

1. Have them side by side to observe the construction differences (the crosshatch patterns are not the same size).

2. Have a set of each mounted on a cage to gauge the differences in tension. You can feel the difference between the two (with the same stops, those stops being installed to the same tension setting).

I've done both.

I would rather change the reeds when needed than deal with a reed that doesn't work as well (imo) that lasts longer. That's a double load of 'not good enough.'

..imo....did I say that? ;)

BTW, the flange with the DF logo installs down.

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
Since CC uses this, I'm interested in learning more...

I thought CDave's hopup section basically said that there was only a marginal performance increase from the RAD or V-Force reed cages, and that more bang for the buck comes from simply replacing the reeds?

Of course, this all presupposes that the bike is jetted correctly. That is still a work in progress in my garage!

I know this is probably a personal choice again...as a beginning rider, am I likely to notice more of a difference with new Boyesen reeds on the stock cage or with the V-Force cage?

rlbranson

Dec 24, 2003
I replaced the low mileage stockers in my kdx200 with boyesen reeds and neither I nor any of my friends could tell any difference. waste of money in my case. and yes it was rejetted slightly leaner. I hear great things about the V force reed cage on other bikes. I rode a cr250 before and after and it was a lot stronger. I have not personally run into a kdx with the V force reed cage.

bob

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
I am currently running the V-Force with the "recommended" set up. So far I'm pleased, but I am only comparing it to the stockers. I have Bysen Reeds sitting on my bench, and someday...yes, someday when I am ambitious enough....I will give thos a try to see how it changes things.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
From CDave's site:
Most that have tried both the Boyesen RAD Valve and Delta Force Reed Valve on the KDX prefer the Delta Force.

That was my take on the two. He does say most, not all. Words mean things.

The biggest 'bang for the buck' would probably be the aftermarket Boyesen reeds (fiberglas or carbon) on the oem cage. That's due to the 'buck' part being a low figure.

The whole idea of 'bang for the buck' diminishes after awhile. The more money you spend, the higher level of modification your bike is taken to, the more bucks it takes to get not much of a bang at all.

Gee! There's a rocket science statement for 'ya!

If your point of view is 'bang for the buck' you would probably be better off simply maintaining the bike you have.....put your money into effort, grease, bearings and fuel.

If you just like to tweak stuff and therefore are simply curious as to what works better than something else (according to 'most'), then comments posted regarding one type of reed vs: another will be of interest to you.

For about the gazillionith time, please recognize that the DeltaForce reedcage is not the same as the DeltaForce II reedcage. Besides being completely different, they also are not at all the same.

Go figure. ;)

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
JasonWho said:
Is the 3rd version out yet?

Since our bike design is "mature" and seeing that MT hasn't fixed their application page to even list the KDX, combined with the online sales page only listing up to '96, I wouldn't hold my breath that the Delta 3 is being developed for ours. I'm glad that they're making the D2s (and replacement reeds). :-)

A phonecall would answer that question but I'm happy with what I've got right now. :-)

Best,
Greg

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Dennis Kirk shows the VForce 3 as "Expected Soon"

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
It'll be interesting to see if that is indeed true. If they sell enough KDX reed cages then possibly. I just don't see it as a good sign when then application guide doesn't even list the current version and the online sales order sheet only shows the KDX up to '96 while they are actively updating the others.

It may be a worth a call to MT to see.

Best,
Greg

farmerj

Dec 27, 2002
MT recommends the 'high'er tension reed with the 'low'er tension stop (it's gray in color). They changed the reed composition to increase reed life.

My take on this is that the new reeds are "recommended" not because they function better, but because they last longer, and they want happy customers. If you're after "low end", like me, floppier is better - and without a lot of high-revving (like the MX bikes), I'll bet they last just fine. Given the trend with the new "stiffer" reeds they've come out with, I'm not sure that the DF 3 will be superior to the DF 2 (in the woods)...but this is all spek-U-la-shun, and if we all go to DF 3s in the future I will not admit that I just wrote what I did ;) !

I do like my DF 2 very much.

Jeff

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…