Boyeson vs. V-Force Delta reeds ??

longshore58

Dec 31, 2008
I'm currently running Boyeson reeds in a 1991 KDX-200 E-3 and recently got a huge KDX parts lot off of FleaBay that also included the entire V-Force Delta reed system.

Curious if anyone here has any experience with these reeds and if it would be worth the effort to install them ??

f4stunter

Dec 18, 2008
I was going to buy the boyeson rad valve for my CR250 out of shear name(they are awesome in boat engines). After doing research through multiple forums I went with the vforce 3, newer than the deltas, but Ive read alot of good stuff about the delta's too. I would change if it were me.

theckeler

Feb 1, 2009
only_mixed_gas said:
no and yes
pain in the butt to install but worth it in the end

Pain? I didn't think it was that difficult, I put in the Boyeson power reeds to replace my stock in no time. Just remove the Carb, remove the reed cage, replace with new cage if that's what you have and put your carb back on. If your replacing the reeds just unscrew, think, 8 screws and rescrew the new reeds on. Unless I'm confusing it with something else. I'm going to pull mine this weekend to double check them and can let you know how long it took me. I have all the stuff off already though, tank, plastic, ect so...

BTW, I'm far from an expert so I might not know what I'm talking about.

longshore58

Dec 31, 2008
getting to the carb...unhooking fuel lines....removing tank...the reeds are the easy part obviously..

thanks f4stunter for your input..

theckeler

Feb 1, 2009
longshore58 said:
getting to the carb...unhooking fuel lines....removing tank...the reeds are the easy part obviously..

thanks f4stunter for your input..
Ya true didn't think about that since I had that stuff off already ha

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
I went to a charity ride a few weeks back and there was another kdx there that had them and it seemed to scream seemed to have alot moretop end rev sounded like a well tuned kx race bike. we shared the same set up except the v-force
kdx200 fmf torque pipe, fmf power core,156 mains stock idle jet

made me think there was something wrong with mine!!

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
That's strange. I guess it's really hard to say for sure without riding it though. My 89 has been no slouch on a clapped out top end. Getting all that squared away now. I'm committed to this old bike for a while I think. Damn I love that bike!

Hey sr, it's a good thing we didn't go up to brushy. They were closed for downed trees and ice. I think they were open this past weekend, but the weather has gone to crap again so who knows what shape it's in now. It's frigid up here, and covered in snow and ice. At least I couldn't have picked a better time to take my bike down for fixin!

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
julien_d said:
That's strange. I guess it's really hard to say for sure without riding it though. My 89 has been no slouch on a clapped out top end. Getting all that squared away now. I'm committed to this old bike for a while I think. Damn I love that bike!

Hey sr, it's a good thing we didn't go up to brushy. They were closed for downed trees and ice. I think they were open this past weekend, but the weather has gone to crap again so who knows what shape it's in now. It's frigid up here, and covered in snow and ice. At least I couldn't have picked a better time to take my bike down for fixin!

Yeah its been cold here too I was on vacation during Christmas and I hardly went out to the garage and still got a cold..I've got the itch real bad, been 2 months since a good ride....so why dig up this old thread???

anyhow bike runs great now and I can do without the v-force I like the 607's!!

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Oh I have no idea. I thought you dug it up, lol. I see now that it was me. I must have turned it up in a search or something....

I'm on the same page with the 607's, they seem to work really well.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
That said, you're post up there about the "other guy on the kdx" who's bike was just screaming was made before you did your top end? How do you think it would compare now??

My cylinder is at the shop. I haven't seen it yet, but got the call last night. Apparently it's been there a few days, but we've been buried under snow and ice since before x-mas. Hopefully I'll be picking it up today :).

J.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
well I think a combination of thing including the rebuild, dropping the neddle to 2nd from the top and the jetting evolution I went through my bike would be alot closer to the bike I saw at the charity ride I think the v-force would still smoke mine on the top end but thats not what I am really after..I think the bike I saw and how it was ridden (like a 125 pinned on an open track) would not last too long at all. you have said it before "I set my bike up for me"

I don't stay in the top end to much but I do keep the rpm's right where if I need to get the front end up the engine will be ready to provide.

on another note the trials tire: I have learned the piont and shoot riding style and also to steer the locked up sliding @ss end untill just the right time and hit the gas for cornering.

omrik88

Dec 5, 2009
Hi guys,

Do you think it's worth trying to find a Rad Valve or a V-force that will fit on a KDX 200, c3, 1988?
Or is it good enough to keep the Stock cage and change the reeds from Stock to Power (dual-stage)?
Thanks!

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
omrik88 said:
Hi guys,

Do you think it's worth trying to find a Rad Valve or a V-force that will fit on a KDX 200, c3, 1988?
Or is it good enough to keep the Stock cage and change the reeds from Stock to Power (dual-stage)?
Thanks!

For the cost/performance of the vforce/rad valve I would just put boyesen power reeds in the stock cage. If the bike is 100% perfect already and you are just trying to get every little bit you can THEN maybe grab an aftermarket reed cage.

omrik88

Dec 5, 2009
Thanks Vintage Bob!

I just need the engine to work right, that's all. So i guess i better change those old stock reeds with new dual-stage ones.

*What i really need is a new carb Boot/Holder for my bike (KDX200-c3-1988).
Can other KDX200 years fit my bike? or maybe a Boot from a KX?
(I posted a question about this on another thread, but no replies yet)
Thanks alot for your help!!!

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
ypu might want to look up early 80's kx125 boot and see as I think they went water cooled before 1988 the 88 kdx is the last year for air cooled I think... been into other stuff for awhile sooooo.

omrik88

Dec 5, 2009
Thanks,
do you know of any Specific models of KDX/KX that will fit my bike?
Regardless of the Air/Water cooled engines - the shape of other boots look very similar in other models and i'm trying to find out if the measurments will match on my Cylinder and Carburetor( keihin pwk 35mm).
Thank for the help :)

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
www.servicehonda.com

use the advanced parts lookup. Pick the make, model, year, then the part. once you have clicked on the part, click the "WHERE USED" button to find out where the same OEM part was used.

Boyesen, sorry I would not buy from them. A few years back a friend got a 01 cr250 with a rad valve in it. Reeds needed replaced. No replacement reeds from ANYONE! no parts, no online places, not EVEN BOYESEN direct. After 6 months we went back to stock then to a Vforce. I have always run the Vforce reeds with good results. After the boyesen incident, and their crappy quickshot products, stay away from them.

omrik88

Dec 5, 2009
Thanks alot for your help Matt!

Have you bought from this site? any feedbacks?
Thanks for the info on Boyesen and Vforce, these are expensive products.
Most people use Boyesen reeds right? so i guess they should be ok, or is there a better option...

Does anyone know of a store that has a large stock of NOS parts?
Thanks.

omrik88

Dec 5, 2009
About the V-FORCE kit : It actually comes with a carb Boot right?
so, since i need new reeds and a boot which is hard to get, i'm thinking about this option too.
So will this kit boost the engine's performance a bit? Will the engine idle better?
I'm worried what if it will loose power on the low rpm, will this happen?
Do you know if the boot neck tilts to the sides, or goes strait ?
Thanks alot for the help! :)

Top Bottom