Vertex Ring-Gap; Does coating tighten?

vznx1w

Dec 7, 2000
I have noted that my new Vertex piston has a ring end-gap of only 0.007"--much tighter than the 0.016"-0.026" specified in the Honda service manual ('98 CR125).

It appears that the rings may have a friction-reducing coating (similar to the piston skirt). I'm wondering if this may cause the rings to be tight initially, but ok as soon as the coating wears off.

Bottom-Line: Should I file the rings to increase the gap?

I hate to loosen the rings up, but I don't want them to seize!

Thanks,

Steve

elf

Jun 7, 2003
My new weisco ring has some coating on it too. I gapped mine about 0.003 less than I usualy do but I am wondering about this too.The instructions say about 0.012 or 0.013 for a 125. Anyone else know what we should do?

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I just wanted to join the "my rings measured too tight and I did nothing" club.

Yes, I changed mine this weekend in my YZ 250. I used weisco. They measured a bit tight, but I left them alone. Did I screw up?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Running too little end-gap on the rings can cause the rings to get hung up in the ports. If the rings are too tight you have to file them to the proper spec.

elf

Jun 7, 2003
Rich Rohrich said:
Running too little end-gap on the rings can cause the rings to get hung up in the ports. If the rings are too tight you have to file them to the proper spec.

I think we all understand that Rich. We are wondering if the ring gap will increase after the coating wears off the rings.
In other words gap it less and when the coating wears off the gap will be where it should be. Does that make any sense?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
The moly facing on the rings is only a couple of microns thick, so no it won't chnge anything.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I wouldnt worry too much-the honda SRS setup reccomends a ring gap half as big as the vertex.

Ive ran the vertex as is with no problems-the honda gaps are on the large side.

Top Bottom