Colorado

Apr 2, 2005
Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this question, but here goes.

When I was still a kid in the 1970's my toolbox ammounted to some metric sockets that came with the old enduro bikes (you turned them by putting a rod or reversable straight/phillips screwdriver through holes in the sides of them), a couple of crescent wrenches (well ... crescent-LIKE, anyway), and some screwdrivers that my dad was always screaming about not being able to find, or about finding out in the yard. My shop was the floor of the garage when one of the cars wasn't there, or the yard --- which ate screws even faster than screwdrivers.

Anyway, I never really did any of the advanced modifications that I dreamed of --- but dream I did. I read Dirt Bike, then Motocross Action when it came out, and had a subscription to Cycle World for a while. Somewhere in those early/mid seventies issues of one of them were a couple articles that I remember, and wish I still had. I just don't know how to find them. I wonder if someone here might.

One was an article on expansion chamber engineering and design. It gave math formulas you could use if you knew your exhaust port duration, and I remember designing my own expansion chamber for a weird little Gemini SST 50cc mini that I had --- never built it. I designed it though. The other that I remember was on port polishing --- using machinist dye and a scribe to perfect intake and exhaust flow with a dremell. I never did that either, but distinctly remember the articles --- just not enough of the content.

I even took notes in a graph paper spiral that I didn't use for biology as much as I was supposed to. In fact, I ended up with the spiral again after my folks gave me a box of some old stuff of mine years later. Unfortunately, when my older daughter was in elementary school she needed graph paper. I tore out the notes and gave her the notebook. I put the notes someplace safe, then never saw them again (my attic is something like my dad's yard was --- but worse).

So, does anyone here old enough, and who's dementia hasn't progressed very far, remember either of those articles? Is anyone so much of a motorcycle packrat that they actually still have them? Or, could you at least narrow my search if I decide to go hit the public library? I'm thinking some time between 1971 and early 1974, By late 1974 I was developing an unhealthy (at least for my motorcycle devotion) attraction for the opposite sex that cost me, in the long run, more grief and money than any bike ever did.

Tom Cox

May 16, 2003
I'll look tonight for the book I have with the information you need. I can scan the pages and e-mail them to you. Back in the 70's I made several pipes myself. Sometimes they worked and sometimes they didn't. If you remember what was called a snail pipe, the flow characteristics were definitely different than an standard straight pipe. The formulas are for the straighter pipes that followed below the motorcycle rather than a pipe that curved up around the engine and frame. I'll check your posting to see if someone gets the information to you before I do because it will be late evening before I'll get to it.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
There is a company called "Motorcycle Memories" that sells magazines just like your talking about. The owner, Dale Jackson, is very cool. He is a rider himself.

Call this guy and chat with him. He is amazing. You start asking a question about a certain article......he'll cut you off and say..."Cycle World, January 72" I have two of those. He is sharp.

He prices are excellent, but his selection is amazing.

http://www.motorcyclememories.com/main_men.htm

Tom Cox

May 16, 2003
Pipes and Pages

OK, guys. I've got the pages scanned, now I need e-mail addresses to send them to. There will be 12 attachments. Remember this is copyrighted material so you can't sell it. If anyone does we'll have our collective asses in trouble. Basically I'm letting you read the pages from my book. FYI, I had to leave some of the pages in a large format so the resolution was good enough. If you have trouble reading some of the material let me know which pages and I can enlarge them. If you want to know the name of the book let me know and I'll e-mail it to you.

Colorado

Apr 2, 2005
TCOX said:
I'll look tonight for the book I have with the information you need. I can scan the pages and e-mail them to you. Back in the 70's I made several pipes myself. Sometimes they worked and sometimes they didn't. If you remember what was called a snail pipe, the flow characteristics were definitely different than an standard straight pipe. The formulas are for the straighter pipes that followed below the motorcycle rather than a pipe that curved up around the engine and frame. I'll check your posting to see if someone gets the information to you before I do because it will be late evening before I'll get to it.

Thanks! I can't remember if I enabled e-mails when I registered. My e-mail is vsp777777@aol.com. I know a little bit about furnace heat duct design, and have some tables for converting curves into straight run equivalents. Maybe the principles could be applied to pipes.

Colorado

Apr 2, 2005
TCOX said:
If you want to know the name of the book let me know and I'll e-mail it to you.

That would be great too --- and probably ease the mind of the author about you transfering some of his copyrighted material. I mean, there might be a potential book sale in it!

Again:
vsp777777@aol.com

'Colorado'

Top Bottom