s.d.duner

Oct 28, 2003
I went to put on a light b/c my used bike didn't have one on it.

Before i hooked up the ufo twins, i tested the wires w/ a 12 volt test light to see if it had power. It popped the bulb so i did it w/ another test light and the same thing happened.

Must be the voltage regulator, right?

How much do these cost? Also how do I test it?
I have a multimeter.

The bike is a '91 kdx 250
thanks for any replies

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Measure the wires with the meter in DC mode and see.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Don't know about your particular model, but it's easy to disconnect the VR in the process of hooking up a light. Know where your VR is...know that it is 'in' the circuit when you wire in anything.

Maybe your VR is just fine...you just had it disconnected during the test process.

The 'H' model kdx runs on AC, not DC. Check that system using DC and you will be scratching your head for awhile.

Again...have no idea if that applies to your model or not.

Kev from Cov

Oct 9, 2004
Hi Steve
I hope the following will help.
Connect your meter to the wires that you have coming from the alternator. Select both the D.C. and A.C. range on your meter, one will show a voltage when the engine is running. I suspect you have A.C. (alternating current) coming directly from you bikes alternator and your bulbs are not happy with this. You have to convert this to D.C. (direct current) if you want to run a system similar to my 2004 machine. Kwakasaki can supply the unit required to convert to D.C..but any electronics retailer will supply the individual componants. You will need to get wire connection information from your supplier if possible. A battery is not needed.
kevin

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: 'You have to convert this to D.C. (direct current) if you want to run a system similar to my 2004 machine.'

Uh, in a word, no.

If you have a US model kdx, you do NOT have a DC system.

I think I said that already.

Click HERE!
to read that.

;)

Bulbs run fine on AC. Yanno those things you have hanging from the ceiling in your house?......

As far as a '91 250 goes, I don't know...but I said that already, too. Wanna link to THAT thread, too? ;)

Again...verify you have a VR...and that it is NOT out of the circuit as part of your wiring process.

Cheers!

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
He is right, I make this mistake over and over when I hear regulator, its AC not DC. :bang:

s.d.duner

Oct 28, 2003
well i finally did the test described in the manual to check the v.r.

it appears to be bad so i ordered a new one. btw, retail is about $45.

it should be here on tuesday thanks for the help

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom