Voltage Regulator

Curt Doelman

Dec 22, 1999
I think that the voltage regulator on my KDX-220 is not working properly, because the bulb was blown up (black) I noticed that this unit is sealed so repairing is out of the question ??
My question is will the V-regulator sold by Moose work or do I have to order expensive OEM part?

Tamean

~SPONSOR~
Jan 27, 2001
The Moose one will work fine, just remember to mount a heatsink to it. Before you go out and buy one, check the resistance of the VR on your bike. If the regulator blew, the light shouldn't of. I have a feeling that you just need a new light bulb, but, I could be wrong.

Resistances: (found in manual)
With the multimeter's (-) connected to the VR's black/yellow wire and the multimeter's (+) connected to the VR's brown wire, the multimeter should read 15-60 ohms. With the wires connected vise versa it should read 15-16 ohms.

Voltage output:
With the VR connected to the bike, and the light bulb taken out. Run the bike and measure the voltage (put the multmeter to AC), with the bike idling it should measure around 10-11v, and 1/8 throttle-full it should be 12-14v.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Tamean: You being non-us and curt the same is an issue, ain't it? Are these SRs? With a battery, brake lights and such?

In which case, isn't a rectifier unit used?

Seems I've read south american riders using a 'standard' regulator to no good end.

I dunno. I have a simple minded us bike! ;)

Curt Doelman

Dec 22, 1999
Thanks for your response Tamean before spending my money on the Moose VR I will check the old one with a multimeter; what exactly is a heat sink ??
Regarding the post from CANYNCARVR; we have the US model KDX here. no battery and other fancy electrical stuff
thanks for your response

Tamean

~SPONSOR~
Jan 27, 2001
A heat sink is a more effective way of dispersing heat, compared to having an open surface. The more surface area, the more heat disbursement. A good example is the one on your computers processor. The OEM VR has a heat sink built onto it. You can make your own by taking a 1/8 inch thick peice of aluminum, fold the sides 90 degrees making the sides 1/2 inch, then cut some slits into the sides, drill a hole to mount to the metal side of the VR.
canyncarvr, my bike's the US/Canadian model.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…