Wahing Cylinder in warm water and soap

crrod

Aug 14, 2006
Washing Cylinder in warm water and soap

I've read where I am suppose to wash my cylinder in warm water and soap to get it clean. Do I just wash out the cylinder, or do I submerse the entire jug?

If I submerse the entire jug, is the sealed bearing for the HPP shaft going to be OK, or do I plan on replacing it?

I have completely striped down the cylinder of all attached items, including the water jacket, and power valves and shaft. The bearing is pressed in, so I figured it would need replaced if removed, but it works fine as it is.

I'd like to know this information for in the morning. I want to prep the cylinder at work. Maybe I can assemble it tomorrow evening.

Everything looks great with regards to carbon build up and bearings being tight. The OEM piston had some wiggle on the skirt, the pin and bearing were tight. The cylinder wall looks about as close to new as I could hope for, no ridge, and I can still feel the cross hatch marks. The head was nearly spotless, a dark brown tint, zero carbon build up. The plug was a little light colored, running a B8ES. I might try the BR9EG that the bike is suppose to use, see if it burns just a tad cooler.

I had bought a set of Boyesen Carbon reeds, but it appear to have already had a set installed. Anyway, there is a set of carbon reeds in there, looks good, so I won't be changing those out at this time.

Last edited:

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
You should be OK. It's not like you are power washing the cylinder...right? I spray down the whole thing with WD40 to chase away any moisture that I didn't completely remove. That way if the sealed bearing did leak and let water in, the WD40 will get rid of it.

crrod

Aug 14, 2006
Thanks for the info. I corrected the spelling on the title, but apparently it will not change:-)

Top Bottom