tremmy

Aug 29, 2004
have been waiting for a manual for a 97 200, but it appears to be taking the boat a lot longer than the 4 months on back order. Have done searches but none accuarately describe my question. having pulled the fork legs off & their respective boots. The item between the inner & outer fork legs are in deed the dust wipers for the seal (sorry used to usd forks), that can be prised up to clean out. i think this has never been done. Also changing fork oil undo top nut and simply drain out, have done this on other bikes. just checking that there are no little catches. If this is done with the spring still connected what is the best way to measure oil level, or is this done on quantity and not level.
Sorry if this is a repeat but i have searched and found items that didnt clarify things as much as i wanted. Sorry for any inconvenience.

tremmy

Aug 29, 2004
sorry i forget to mention that I am in australia. Shipping a manual from the state is very expensive and the local shop assures me that it is coming a not to far away. My son and I were trying to get a bit of maint done while the xmas holidays were here.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Tremmy, you take the spring out & then do the level measurement (per husband).
per Manual:
Fork oil capacity: 623 +/- 4ml (completely dry)
approx 530ml (when changing oil)
Fork oil level: fully compressed, without fork spring, below from inner tube top 87 +/- 2mm (Usable range 85~100mm)

Okay, from point you're at:
Hold inner tube vertically in a vise.
Unscrew top plug out of inner tube.
Slowly compress front fork fully
Push down on fork spring & insert fork spring holder under piston rod nut (picture shows holding fork vertical & spanner horizontal)
(one person should push down fork spring while another inserts fork spring holder is a note)
Use wrenches on rod nut & top plug to loosen piston rod nut.
Remove - top plug
- fork spring holder
- spacer guide
- spacer
- fork spring seat
- fork spring
Pour out fork oil with fork upside down
(note: using piston rod puller, move piston rod up & down at least 10 times to expel oil from fork)
Pull piston rod up above inner tube top.
Tighten rod nut finger-tight
Hold fork tube upright, press inner tube & piston rod all the way down.

NOTE:
Do not install fork spring yet.
Fill front fork with specified oil
Fork oil viscosity: kayaba 01 or sae5w
capacity (when changing) approx 530ml
Using piston rod puller, purge air from fork oil by gently moving piston rod up & down 5 times
Wait for about 5 minutes so any suspended air bubbles can surface
Measure oil level
Install parts removed

fork spring free length:
standard 457.5mm
service limit: 448mm

there's more for fork spring replacement & disassembly but that's it for oil change.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom