Wake up your KDX for less$$

ACGUY

Feb 6, 2001
I just woke up my stock 97KDX200 a little. First, I took off that K695 "slipper/slider" rear tire, and installed a 100/100-18 D773 rear "hooks up great" tire. Then, with the stock pipe still installed, I fitted a used stock KX250 silencer from a 2000 bike, went from 160/48 stock carb jet combo, to a 155/45. Then removed the airbox lid, and tyrapped that electronic box to the frame. To re-jet, you don't have to remove the carb, just unscrew the cap, and rotate it to gain access to jets. The silencer however required a small aluminum bracket be made to adapt the lower mount hole, but it breaths better, and sounds a little like a 250 with a deeper tone. The jetting and air box made a flat power turn into a crisp, "easy to wheelie" power. I also stiffened the front forks a bit by removing the rubber caps at the bottom, and running in the adjusters a few turns. The bike feels a little firmer now in soft dirt turns.
Total cost (I'm cheap) =
Tire - 68.00
Jets 12.95
Silencer from ebay auction - 18.00
Total =$100.00

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
Now go get yourself a pipe. Talk about really waking it up!

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Brian - listen to the man (ACGUY) - go out and get your self a rear tire. Your 1997 original stock tire isn't doing you any favors! ;)

Put on a new Dunlop756, Michelin S-12/M-12 or whatever fits your riding conditions and you will see & feel an improvement. When i rode your bike one big difference that i noticed between our bikes was how your bikes rear end slid around and didn't hook up. Your've got the power. :)

ACGUY - you are experiencing the thrills of improved jetting and letting your bike breath better. :cool:

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
The next thing I get will be a set of tires. The front one ain't doing me any favors either ;)

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
That must be a nice KDX. My stock tires were trashed in about three months of weekend rinding. If you still got them on there that must be a low mile machine or always in the sand.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
The last S-12 that i put on looked like i ran it through the veg-o-matic after one week-end at Hatfield-McCoy (WV). Climbing (and falling and climbing and falling ...) in the loose baseball size rocks is what did it in. :confused:

I actually turned the tire around since i had to take it off to work on my spokes. I know that it is supposed to be a uni-directional tire but it works quite well (acceleration & braking). :cool:

kx_693

Jul 2, 2002
man i dont even get a week out of a back tire, we put a new one on for every GNCC, i wish i could get a few weeks out of one.

jeffw

Nov 27, 2001
Like somebody else said here recently, turning a tire is old school! Glad to see somebody else does it too. It gets those sharp knobby edges back in front where they can do some good and gives you a few more quality rides for free.

jc

Sep 22, 2001
1996 KDX 200- STILL ON STOCK TIRES!!!!!! MAGIC I GUESS (AND SANDY TRAILS) YES I NEED TO "CUT" THE KNOBS OR GET SOME NEW ONES THIS WINTER. ORIG. STILL GOOD ENOUGH TO "STUD" FOR THE ICE. ANYONE KNOW THE LARGEST SIZE THAT WILL CLEAR THE SWINGARM?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom