Want to paint my 01 Kdx frame with 03 grey paint.

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
I've been wanting to install new graphics to change the look of my bike but was not sure which ones to go with..So I played around with photo shop pro and changed the color of the frame and the graphics of my 01.
I was able to see what the end result would look like using all sorts of graphics and did not have to spend a ton of loot.
The results came out great.. Now all I have to do is go out and buy the grahics/ paint the frame and install the pipe.

However I do not know where to get the grey paint from the 03 KDX.

Any ideas.

I can't post the before and after pics but , if anyone is interested I will e-mail..
Thanks a ton.

Joe

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
I had my '01 KX 500 frame powder coated '03 grey.
Took the frame to a local powder coater with a pic of an '03 frame & asked him to match it. It turned out really good. Cost $125.00.

Roland C

~SPONSOR~
Nov 20, 2002
I second the powder coating. It's a lot more durable than paint - won't rub off on your boots as easily.

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
Ah,,,but how much! I thought powder coating was expensive?
I figure that a can or two of air-e-o-sole is less costly and easier to touch up..
thought>?
Joe

Gerg

May 7, 2002
My '97 goes in next week to be powder coated. The metallic grey I picked isn't an exact match to the new frame color, but it'll look really sharp anyway. I'm also having the swingarm done the same color. It's so beat up now that if I didn't get it painted/powdercoated now, it would look really bad next to the new frame, clean plastic, etc.

Roland C

~SPONSOR~
Nov 20, 2002
Powder coating prices actually vary a fair bit depending on who does it. Higher volume shops are usually a little more reasonable. Toronto should have a number of places doing it. I'd say give them a call and see what they're charging. It's getting popular enough these days where it may not be as bad as you think.

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
Thanks,,,I'll look them up..

Joe

galena

Feb 26, 2003
Hey BucKat, if you do not want to spend the money for powdercoating check out PJ-1 frame paint from denniskirk.com. $7.50 a can. It's avalible in KTM silver which a buddy of mine has a KTM EXC300 that had a silver frame that matches my 87'KDX200 frame untill he powdercoated it black.It's just a suggestion if your looking to save money!

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
They don't seem to have that color for the 03 Kawasaki.

toalco-kdx

May 16, 2002
I just did my frame with the PJ-1 silver paint. I used the Yamaha OEM silver but it still looks good on the KDX. You should put on a coat of grey primer , then put coats of the PJ1 silver. Get about 3-5 coats of the silver but put on thin coats. The PJ1 can chip off or scratch pretty easy (so do most paints) but u can put on a clear coat that will protect the silver. Sometimes clear coats can react with the paint that is underneath and will bubble and might wreck the silver thats underneath but thats very rare. So you should test a small area on the frame and see if it reacts with the silver, it should take about 10 minutes for it to react if it is going to. Its rare that it will react and I used the PJ1 clear coat and it didnt react with the PJ1 silver so i would recomend the PJ1. In a while I will have some pictures that i can show you.

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
Excellent.
I've just painted my son's rm80 with spray and clear coat and it too came out beautifull....

Mine is next.

Joe

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…