HGaither

Oct 23, 2000
I was almost ready to buy a crf 450 and then this darn valve seat thing came along. Is there anyway to tell if it will affect the 03 models? Someone has to know something. Hard to believe that Honda would make all the other changes and do nothing about that and surely they must know that there is a problem with the seats because it should have came up on the race team bikes unless they use different seats and if so why?

johntt

Mar 29, 2002
How many valve problems have there really been ? I have an 02 with about 70hrs. on it .Everything within spec. I know about ten people with this bike with no problems other than sealing up airbox.

MxKid512

Feb 10, 2001
You have to remember how many of these bikes are out there. There are thousands of them and you're not going to hear about the ones that aren't having problems. If 10 out of a 1000 have a problem, is it enough to make you not want to buy the bike? Remember the YZ250f's and the broken cranks? Do you know anyone who has broken a crank? I don't. How about the KTM cam bearings? The point is all bikes have their little problems but they are probably fewer and further between than they seem.

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
Also don't forget the number of people that post the complaints, how many people out there take the time to post the good points about it? It's vary rare to read, HEY MY VALVES ARE STILL GREAT AFTER 100 HOURS!!

You know? I just mean it's the negatives you will hear more of.

I think Rich summed it up best to me,
High Performance race motors have parts that will eventually wear out :) :confused:

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I think the new 450 has been super relaible for a new model-you hear very few reports of problems and some must be due to operator error;)compare it to the YZs or KTMs and i think you will find no bike with less problems.

MotoGreg

Sep 23, 2001
With a lot of people talking about valves and valve seats I decided that I'd better check on mine seeing as I have over 100 hours on it and a friend just asked me last night if I'd checked mine. Well, checked it today and all four valves were pefectly in spec. Not a little out but still within range, but exactly right on .006 intake and .011 exhaust. I ride at fairly high RPM for it being a four stroke so I figured if anyone would have a problem it would be me. I don't know why some people have had a problem? I ride this bike strictly on MX tracks, so it has never had extended idling like you do when you get stuck on a gnarly/rocky/technical hillsides so it has never gotten hot enough to have any coolant come out the overflow. Maybe the valve failures are related to high tempertures assosiated with slow offroading?

After 8 months of ownership I finally replaced my first part other than tires.... my clutch cable was getting a little stiff so I put a new one on. This bike has been great!

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
If Busterwho hasn't floated the valves on his I would say it's a safe bet you wouldn't either... :D

Top Bottom