Water in clutch maybe?? please help!

Flux3D

Aug 8, 2007
Yeah so I was washing my yz 250 today and noticed that the tube that holds the wire from the clutch lever was out of the part where it connects to the engine (I don't know what its called, I guess its where the actual clutch is). It was pulled out so that the hole was fully exposed and I am sure some water got in there. Probably not a lot but definetly some.

I have absolutly no idea what this could cause or how to fix it. I didn't start the engine in fear of hurting it more. I was wondering what some possible problems could result from getting water in the clutch. Also, what would be a good way to clean it out or inspect it? I've never opened up the engine to my bike before so I lack some knowledge in the area. Please respond with as much detail as possible.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I took my clutch lever off a couple of days before I washed my bike because it broke and have a warrenty. Do you think that when I was taking them off I could have somehow pulled the tube out of the engine??? Please help!

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I'm pretty sure the Yamaha clutch cables connect to the engine on the ignition side.

If any water got in, it did not get into the oil. It may have gotten in the ignition, but shouldn't be a huge deal. Take the ignition cover off, and make sure it's clean & dry.

Flux3D

Aug 8, 2007
I'm not sure what the ignition side is but it connects on the left side and the transmition oil goes in the right. Also, my problem isn't just the water I can't get the tubbing to stay in now. There is a metal peice at the bottom of it and I can push it back in but it easily pops right back out. Any suggestions?

sixds

Mar 25, 2007
I'm pretty sure the Yamaha clutch cables connect to the engine on the ignition side.

If any water got in, it did not get into the oil. It may have gotten in the ignition, but shouldn't be a huge deal. Take the ignition cover off, and make sure it's clean & dry.

my yz125's connects on the right side.

Flux3D

Aug 8, 2007
hmmm well all I know is that from the perspective of sitting on the bike, the clutch cable goes in the left side for my yz. Is that the ignition side?

Flux3D

Aug 8, 2007
Thanks for all the replys everyone. So if I opened the cover, I wouldn't have to worry about any fluids (like oil) spilling out?

fatboyslim

Apr 11, 2006
No b/c that is where your stator is so take the cover off and clean out any dirt or water out of there. As for the peice that won't fit in just use some gasket sealer or something to prevent water from getting in I guess?

ysr89

Dec 4, 2007
Just pull the cover and dry out the ignition! The only thing that side has to do with the clutch is house the actuator arm assembly. make sure you hit that with a little lube (Not WD-40, it attracts water over time.) For future reference, if you got water in your oil, all you need to do is put some a product called seafoam into your oil then drain the oil out. Oil that is contaminated with water will be a tannish-white color. just keep repeating the oil/seafoam procedure until the oil is moisture free. Hope that helps!

-Matt

Top Bottom