Water injection in two stroke pipes

Flummo

Oct 9, 2001
I'm looking for a way to get more bottom end power (w/o loosing power anywhere else) in a fully tuned small twostroke engine, and water injection might just be a "simple" way there. Basically, I need more information about how other people have gotten this kind of system to work... I know the theory behind it, but for example, what parts would be suitable, what kind of jet could be used in the exhaust, what...?

njrealtor55

Sep 22, 2005
jetski racing exhaust uses water injection. you would need an external water injection controller, a solenoid & correct sprayer barb setup.

then you need to get the barb into the pipe by having it tapped (possibly brase a plug in?).

only issue is, jetski exhausts are made for high power - and the water injection helps them on bottom. as far as i know dirt bike exhausts are not that biased.

try MSD at this link
http://www.msdpowersports.com/2004_watercraft_wics.html

Flummo

Oct 9, 2001
Thanks!
It isn't a dirtbike i have in mind, not now at least. The engine is a "brother" of the Honda CR80 engine from 1980-82, more specificly a MB5-engine tuned for 70cc "roadracing". Water injection is not allowed by the rules in this class (if the engine even will be used for racing), but I want to try it and see what kind of diffrence it makes. If the water injection works well it might find its way to a more expensive bike in the future.

njrealtor55

Sep 22, 2005
water injection definatly works. i raced 800 superstock runabout class in 2004 and was the national champion. big power to be made with water injection at correct points and also turned on at the right time and turned off at the right time.

usually on the earliest (3,000rpm) and off the earliest (5500rpm) worked well for 800cc jetskis

post pics and results.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
I used to set my ski pipe up as dry as possible for the most MPH.
Sometimes too dry, and couplers would melt. :ohmy:

So as a rule of thumb the pipe temp was set after a hard run. Sprinkled some water on it, if it just sizzled it was OK, but if it beaded off, too hot!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom