water pump seal

ericsbandit

Nov 26, 2002
The last couple of times when I changed my oil it came out milky. I've read a lot of threads about this and now am trying to figure out which parts I will need. I just called my local dealer and they said there is an o-ring and a mechanical seal. Which one do I need? Both? I'm hoping to fix this problem cheap. Thanks in advance.

shr

Uhhh...
Apr 8, 2002
If your water pump seal is leaking, there would be coolant dripping on the ground from a small hole in the clutch cover case directly under the water pump.

It is also possible to get water in the gear box from the vent hose at the back of the engine.

Just a thought.

kx200

Feb 1, 2001
You might have to replace the pump shaft too if it has some groves in it fom the seal rubbing.

ericsbandit

Nov 26, 2002
I sold the DR last year after getting a 2000 KDX 220 from this site.

How hard is it to replace the sharft/bearing and seals? What is the procedure.

WildBill

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 29, 2002
Have you picked up a repair manual for the KDX? Got mine from repairmanuals. I do not think the seal is a difficult repair, but the shaft may be a different matter. Good luck.

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
havent done it to a 2000 220 but i put a seal in my 89. shaft was ok and of course a new waterpump gasket and right side engine cover gasket since i had to take it off to replace the seal. i didnt need any special tools. yours should be the same but i would get a service manual first.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…