Help needed please KDX mystery leak?

carts69

Feb 27, 2010
Ok this is the story, my kdx 220 was getting water in the tranny oil (milky oil)! I replaced the water seal,oil seal,water pump bearing & the small o ring on the shaft & the seal on the back of the propellor. Put everything back together & yes you guessed it... water dripping from the weep hole below the pump casing.
Prior to carrying out this task i had no water dripping from the weep hole (only water in the oil) now i find i have both problems, so it seems what i have done is made things worse by trying to solve the original problem.

Is there a simple answer to this problem,how can water still be getting into the oil when i have replaced the above items & why the dripping. what other possible parts may need replacing which would cause this problem as i dont fancy throwing away money on parts that dont need changing?

Thanks in advance!

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
leakage from the weep hole does not equal water in the oil, so which is it? You will have residual water in the tranny for several oil changes to come. It takes some time to get it all out. Leaking from the weep hole is a completely different story. Sounds like perhaps the gasket didn't seal properly, or one of your bolts is leaking.

carts69

Feb 27, 2010
Thanks for the response...It seems ive got both problems as i can still see a white residue on the little glass window but as you say its no doubt still in the system?
Regarding the weep hole leaking, someone has stated it could well be the propellor shaft but as these are a little costly i would like to narrow down other options before i replace that!
I am 100% sure that the water seal is fully seated as i can see looking that it has reached the case edge,but what i will state at this point is when i was changing the water seal i noticed... where the seal sits when in place the metal is chewed up a little & there are a couple of areas which have small notches out,nothing major but small damaged areas are present, no doubt this is my heavy handed work trying to prize the old seal out.
Would it be likely that water is getting past the seal via the small notches which have been done by myself?

carts69

Feb 27, 2010
So am i right in saying that if i have a very slight drip from the weep hole that water will not get into the tranny oil, is the idea of the weep hole to prevent water getting into the engine, the dripping is very slight & the rad level has hardly dropped, can any of you guys clarify this for me please???

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Yes, you are correct. I would re-check all your bolts, gasket, etc. I've never actually encountered this problem with water coming out the weep hole, knowing the seals/bearing are good. Can you post up a picture perhaps of where you suspect the water is leaking from exactly? The shaft being worn is sounding more and more likely.

Last edited:

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
heavy handed work is more than likely the cause, you may be like a friend of mine who cant wait for me to get off work or done doing my own stuff first and screws stuff up and causes more headaches for himself (me)

some people just can't handle mechanical workings well

harbor frieght sells seal pullers for like 3 bucks

I would be looking for another clutch cover if I were you

carts69

Feb 27, 2010
julien_d thanks for the advice, cant mail a pic as im not sure where its coming from, but im going to tear it apart again & go through everything. Cheers for you help on this!

Top Bottom