CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
I’d really like to share this ride report with ya’ll even though it wasn’t a typical dirt ride. At the spur of the moment, a couple of guys whom we’d never met before from another forum talked Will and I into joining them for a little dualsport ride in Mexico this past weekend. We had never been to Mexico before. The guys had never ridden this route before and didn’t even know if the roads/trails connected through. What the heck were we thinking???

We met the guys for the first time in front of the hotel Del Rio, TX. All the guys were riding those huge BMW GS1150 bikes while I rode my little Suz DR200. AT HOTEL We got the bikes through customs, headed southwest out of town, and the roads quickly turned into dirt. ON ROAD. After being woken up abruptly at 1AM by a string of jeeps running frantically through the gears down the trail (hmm?), we woke up again to a crisp and beautiful morning. SUNRISE. A nearby rancher came by to say hello and we did our best with our limited spanish. He was very sweet and thought we were nuts camping out in the cold like that. Then, we were off following the trail again. ON TRAIL. Some awesome scenery near a fluorite mine. SCENERY. Road signs were nonexistent, so we relied mostly on GPS and asking the local folks how to get to the next village. KIDS. One of the guys just HAD to take a spin on my little DR. DONUTS. Hitting the trail again, we ran into one of those infamous army checkpoints. It was a bit intimidating until they got out their own cameras and all wanted a picture, which was hilarious! ARMY GUY. Here’s a pic of the guys on their big bikes near the little village of Manuel Benavides. BIG BIKES. Yeah! We finally made it to Presidio, TX and headed towards Big Bend. BIG BEND. Here’s a map printout from the GPS of our ride marked in yellow. THE MAP. We covered about 350 miles of dirt roads and goat trails in two days. The little DR did great and I was really impressed with the guys on their big bikes. We all had an awesome time!

It wasn’t quite a typical dirt ride, but there was a lot of dirt and we were riding motorcycles so I hope you enjoy the ride report!

Last edited:

FireLily

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Thank you for the great report and the photos, CJ!
Wow, is this a real adventure or what!? :worship:

Yes, I really did enjoy reading it, and it was very easy to imagine the scenes by all the photos you attached.
Well, I'm happy to know that you had a wonderful time and your DRZ ran well in those big bikes!!
See you soon.

Mini

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
Danman- I was thinking you lived not too far a drive from Del Rio. You should definitely do this ride! How's your spanish? (Hopefully better than mine!)

Girlrider

Sep 1, 2000
Jen,

Looked like a good time. Nice not having kids so you can pack up on the spur of the moment and go to Mexico for a ride. Is that Wills bike with the big moose sticker? Have a great weekend!

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
How'd the DR do?
The guys dubbed the little DR "the little engine that could." It hung in there quite well on the rough "roads" in Mexico. However, the street sections in the US were not as much fun since top speed is only 65-70 mph downhill with the wind at your back. I think I'd gear it a little higher next time. How was your little 200 in Baja? Did you have fun? You'll have to tell us all about it in Reno in TWO WEEKS (SO EXCITED)!!!

Top Bottom