HAzE

Uhhh...
Dec 29, 2000
Everyone tells me I have to learn how to get my rear tire to hook up. They say put all you're weight on the outside peg, but they don't tell me how to do this. So my question is, how do I put all my weight on the outside peg in corners. I seem to have most of my corners down. I just want to know how to make my tire hook, I think it'd make me faster. I'm geting a dunlop 756, that's what everyone runs at the track. But the tire I have on the bike now is a 707. If anyone knows about tires. So I'd really appreciate someone explaining this outside peg thing to me. Thanks, all advice is taken and used. I put everything I know to use, and if it works I do it, if it slows me down, usually doesn't though. I forget about it. Thanks guys, later.

TrackMaster

Mar 15, 2001
Weight on the outside peg... This is done when going in to a corner, slide up to the gas tank, and on your way up, get your butt set on the outside edge of the seat. While in this position, try to center all of your weight on just the peg, (you may want to keep your butt slightly off the seat) and put all your weight on the outside leg. So none of your body weight should be on the inside peg, or you will obviously lose traction and very possibly crash. Its really easy to do once you get the hang of it. Have you ever taken the very inside of a 180* turn? Weight on the outside peg is crucial to getting around these corners.

HAzE

Uhhh...
Dec 29, 2000

Nope never taken the inside line on a 180 corner, 1 because we don't have any.2 because I don't take inside much. Thanks for your help, I'm going to read it over and over so it's in my mind, any other tips?? Thanks guys later.

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
Haxe, getting the rear tire to hook up is more of a matter of clutch and throttle coordination. If you romp on the gas when exiting a slick corner, the rear tire will break loose. I purposely ride a gear high on slippery tracks to keep the rear tire from spinning alot. Throttle control is a big difference in alot of riders exit speeds out of corners. Gary Semics pushes this technique with authority. It is really important.

Don't just look at the instructions and go out and try them., Practice them SLOWLY untill they are automatic reflexes. This is the only was to get faster.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
No 180deg turns????
Hmmmm.....:think

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Peg weighting is very important. Don't throw it out if you can't get it right away! I've got a friend I ride with who's a fairly green off-roader that I've been trying to show some techniques to every time we go out. One day while we were riding 'the twisty trail', I stopped to explain peg weighting to him, as I noticed he was having trouble keeping up.
He's pretty good at picking things up once they're explained to him, and on the next pass through 'twisty', he was right on my butt!
It's not just cornering, but also off-camber situations that this technique are effective for, and brake sliding. Try thinking of how when you are coming out of the corner, and you've got your foot up by the front wheel to weight it .
You are already weighting the peg slightly without realizing it. When you go into the turn, slide up on the tank, move to the upper edge of the seat, as previously suggested, and shift all your weight to that foot as if you already had the other foot out.Your upper body should be up over the crossbar going in, then leaning back with your foot out coming out.
I hope this clarifies things a little. It doesn't make sense until you've done it.:confused:

FMX_novice

Jan 5, 2001
By putting weight on your outside peg in a corner you are pushing down weight on the tire to dig it into the dirt deeper, and provide more traction. If you put weight on the inside peg you will be pushing the weight away from the center of gravity and make the bike want to fall out from under you. Just keep your buttocks slightly off the seat or gently on it and press with all your might down on the outside peg. When your coming out of the turn you may want to suddenly take that weight off if your tracking to the outside and want the bike to straighten up to run in the middle. It takes a while to get used to releasing peg pressure so square off the end of a corner. But it is especially useful if you are coming out of a berm which doesnt give you the best line to the next turn.

HAzE

Uhhh...
Dec 29, 2000
Thanks...

Thanks guys.... I appreciate it alot. I always was thinking about how to figure out how to do it. I couldn't seem to think of a way. I'm going to the track if I get my stuff back together. I will use all your guys advice. I will practice this, and maybe I'll be able to keep up with my friend. Now all I need is help on jumping in rythem sections, just need the confidence. Well I will use this advice and I appreciate it very much. Thanks again, LATER.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Everyone is implying it here by saying to slide you butt off the side of the seat but try to keep your body as perpendicular or vertical as possible. By doing this you will automatically weight the outside peg. The faster the turn the less vertical you want to be so practice, practice practice.

Good luck:)

HAzE

Uhhh...
Dec 29, 2000
Welp thanks everybody, again I really appreciate it. I should be geting my bike back together tomorrow, and riding wensday. I will practice practice practice. Hopefully I'll get it down. Then I'll post here on thursday. Thanks guys, I understand how to do it, basically you want to be up on the tank almost, with you're butt basicly off the bike? Well talk to you later. PEACE.

Mike Hubert

Apr 22, 2001
I have read with great interest the posts regarding cornering but I am confused. Do you keep your body position perpendicular to the angle of the bank/berm in the turn or perpendicular to the horizon?

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
Horizon. Good careful reading. But, you need to lean into the turn a little bit to keep from being thrown off(only in high speed turns).

HAzE

Uhhh...
Dec 29, 2000
well.......

Well todays friday, and I didn't get to go to the track. Of course, my dad procrastanated about geting my bike fixed. Well luckily next time I ride hopefully next wensday, I should have my new protector and new back tire. So I didn't get to practice, big bummer man. I was pretty bummed out about not going, I was looking forward to it. But hey? what can you do. The bike wasn't fixed. Well talk to you later.

duke

Oct 9, 1999
You might also consider to assure that you are pressing down with the ball of your foot and not the arch. Your body has more of the weighting effect since all of it is being focused via a small portion (ball) vs it being disspersed with the arch. Finally, as you press down on the footpeg, use the knee on the same side to press in against the tank/seat. This will help feed direction of the bike and keep it layed over. As noted above, keeping the body upright and perdendicular in a turn will automatically place weight against the out side footpeg, thus leaving one less thing to think about as you and five other guys fight for the same line

Dirteater

Jan 24, 2001
After reading this post over the last several days I went out riding and tried what I learned. I had been trying to stick my foot foward to weight the front wheel. All that did was plant my hide on the seat and make the bike less manuverable. As I understood the advice: weight the pegs, so I stood ever so slightly and moved the bike underneith me. I impressed my riding buddy with my new speed and when I was playing follower I noticed I caught him in the corners.:cool: Thanks HAzE for asking that question good luck with your corners.

Last edited:

duke

Oct 9, 1999
I understand where your coming from. According to Gary Semics, you need only to place your leg out for a moment or so. I feel more comfortable with both feet on the pegs until reaching the apex, then I put my inside foot for a split second. In some turns, I dont ever remove my feet from the pegs. I simply sit forward to weight the front tire. By keeping both feet on the pegs, I find the inside foot helps feed direction to turn the bike in that direction, while the outside foot presses down on the peg in order to maintain traction. I am barely sitting on the bike, and even then, its on the side of the seat.

HAzE

Uhhh...
Dec 29, 2000

No problem man, I was courious, so I asked. I got my back tire, and my bike back together, just need to get the chest protector fixed, probily will tomorrow. So I'm all set for trying this advice. I can't wait, I haven't been riding for a month. Well talk to you later.

Top Bottom