Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
HI all,
After a crash course in welding, I want my own machine. I have 3 choices. 1. 110v - I believe I have an open slot in my breaker box, and can run a dedicated circuit. 2. 220v - run an extension cable off the dryer circuit. 3. Self powered - most likely a pipe dream, but I wounder if the extra cost would be similar to the cost of adding additional electric circuits.

Cost is a huge issue, but I want a quality unit that real welders won't laugh at. It will most likely be a mig welder, as a mig/tig combo welder is sustantially higher.

I will not be welding thick metals, just, auto and motorcycle fabrication. But I really want to do a lot of aluminum fabrication.

Speeed

Proud American
Jul 4, 2004
if you plan on doing a lot of aluminum I would recommend a tig.
something like this: (around $1000) http://www.millerwelds.com/products/tig/maxstar_150_sth/
or this : ($1300) http://www.millerwelds.com/products/tig/econotig_ac_dc/

I have one of these: ($1300)
http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/millermatic_210/
it is capable of welding Aluminum with the purchase of an optional spool gun ($450) and 2nd bottle($125)

the millermatic 175 is a good machine also and a little less expensive.

real welders laugh at the $500 lowes and homedepot welders. not that they're not good !!! if thats all the budget allows then they're great

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
For what it's worth, I have one of these and it's served me very well.

http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Catalog/equipmentdatasheet.asp?p=8960

If you're going to be doing alot of welding and cost isn't an issue there are more expensive units to buy, This unit works well and didn't cost a fortune. I've had it since 96 and it's never had any issues.

FYI I've built the motorcycle hitch style carriers for myself and many of my friends, and I custom built my camper trailer with it. etc.

I'm not sure if these are the same as the ones at home depot or not, I got mine from a welding- industrial supply store.

Just my $.02.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
well, I guess, my main questions, are...... 110v, or 220v ? the 110 could probably get it's own circuit, the 220, will have to be ran form the dryer outlet... Or... I can get one with it's own onboard generator, which I might not be able to afford

Speeed

Proud American
Jul 4, 2004
your lookin at a LOT of money ($3000 or better) for a welder/generator that mig welds

givin your electrical situation I would say buy the biggest 110v you can. and run a line for it.
a good 220v welder needs a dedicated line a little larger then your dryer

my dryer is on a 20 amp circuit, my welder is on a 40 amp

DRZ_Dad

Apr 21, 2004
I agree, I have a sp135 and a sp100, I keep the 135 setup for mild steel with fluxcore wire. And I keep the 100 setup to weld aluminum! both are great machines and very versitile,
keep in mind you will not be able to weld real thin aluminum with the mig setup due to the fact you have no way to back the heat off

Nice Guy Eddie

Uhhh...
Jun 30, 2004
TIG is the way to go for fine aluminum welding... but even the little 110v MillerMatic MIG welder has an adaptor kit for aluminum MIG...

From what I hear from you, you should probably consider the 110 models... get one that uses a tank (flux core bites and will frustrate you with lousy welds).... the dryer circuit most likely isn't rated for the welder (certainly not both at once), and welders should have a dedicated circuit (110 or 220)... They used to only make the MillerMatic with a dedicated 20 amp 110v style plug (one tang runs sideways), but now they make them that plug into any standard outlet.

I have a MIG/TIG/ARC that is 220, a stick welder that is 220 and a little MillerMatic MIG that is 110... I haven't used either of the 220v welders in 2 years (but I would if I needed to do aluminum.... then I'd go TIG)

treerider

Jul 28, 2003
Small works well

I was a cert. welder and have used all the above mentioned. I am far from the the best but do have experience in it. I have a stick and hardly ever use it. I also have a lincoln sp135 and I have run spools of wire through it. I just took it over to a friends house and welded a kickstand on an xr400. Its easy to take anywhere, welds any position, and I have found it to work well for years.

Top Bottom