oilspot

Sep 11, 2006
I just got my "new to me" freshly rebuilt wer damper. I've got the unit bolted on the bike and just have to weld the bracket onto the frame.
My question is about the electronics on the bike. Is there anything I need to disconnect or remove before I start welding. I'd really hate to toast something.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
oilspot said:
My question is about the electronics on the bike. Is there anything I need to disconnect or remove before I start welding. I'd really hate to toast something.

If you are wire welding or tig welding using DC straight polarity, you don't have to disconnect anything.

If you are welding aluminum using AC, High Frequency, it is a good idea to disconnect the CDI unit.

Just my $ .02

oilspot

Sep 11, 2006
Ol'89r said:
If you are wire welding or tig welding using DC straight polarity, you don't have to disconnect anything.

If you are welding aluminum using AC, High Frequency, it is a good idea to disconnect the CDI unit.

Just my $ .02
ok here's my dumb question! I'm using a hobart 135 mig welder, running gas. I know the welder runs on AC but don't know what the weld output itself would be considered AC, DC and have no idea about polarity.
I just think of my little MIG as my hot glue gun for metal. I was given a crash course in heat and wire feed settings when I got the machine. I've managed to stick everything together that I've wanted to, but have held off on building bridges or any life saving devices with it :) .

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
oilspot said:
ok here's my dumb question! I'm using a hobart 135 mig welder, running gas. I know the welder runs on AC but don't know what the weld output itself would be considered AC, DC and have no idea about polarity.

It's the high frequency that you have to worry about. A Hobart 135 mig machine doesn't have high frequency unless it has a buzz box added to it. If you have any doubts, just disconnect the wires going into the cdi box.

Last edited by a moderator:

makenzie71

Mar 3, 2007
Don't worry about the bike...you'll only damage any of the electronics if you pass current through them. Welding a damper on I seriously doubt you'll cause any issues. It'll be good to take and damp rag and cover anything in the vacinity of your welding...especially painted and composite surfaces. Welding slag (the hot splatter off the bead) will be your only real concern and it is quite damaging.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Hook up the ground as close to the weld as possible, you don't want to be transmitting current through the steering stem bearings. It will pit the surface.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom