Were your parents against you riding?

Alex2

Jul 20, 2009
My parents don't want me to get a bike. My dad thinks it would be too complicated getting the bike to a place less than 5 minutes away from me. I tell him that i could buy a hitch and a bike trailer. He thinks that would be too expensive even though he has spent at least a thousand dollars on soft ball bats for my sister. I'm not asking for a brand new bike. I want a used one, I found one that was a Suzuki 2stroke 80cc for $400. I know he won't want me to buy it though. I don't ask him for a lot, i usually pay for everything on my own. Any help on convincing him into buying it?

jackflack44

May 3, 2008
Keep at it, took me 3 years of persistence til my mom bought me a crappy chinese bike, then we went 60/40 (mom/me) on my sweet KX100 :)

Alex2

Jul 20, 2009
Thanks I have been asking since last christmas for one. :bang:

WIcr125

May 26, 2009
Keep at it man, i guess i'm lucky enough my rents were always makin sure i had somethin to ride.

Look into hitch racks, motorcyclecarrier makes them specifically for bikes.
That would be way cheaper than a hole trailer for 1 bike, plus it might get you a bit closer to getting that bike!

Alex2

Jul 20, 2009
Thanks I would happily buy a hitch myself but seeing how im only 14 i can't go out and get it myself and if i go to a place to buy it with a parent driving me there when i try to buy it they wont let me. Thank god when i turn 16 ill be able to drive out and get stuff, and ill be that much closer to being the only one who can say what i do.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Same experience here, although I'm now what is called "old." My mom never supported/encouraged my riding interest and my step dad was interested until I started breaking bones and costing him worry/concern and $.
In the beginning it took a lot of relentless nagging on my part, but my step dad got me a basketcase Hodaka that we put together ourselves. No, it wasn't the "cool" bike like my buddies had, but I learned stuff about dirtbikes and it was something we both had fun doing. After that, all bikes were payed for myself. You may have to wait if you're parents don't aprove, but perhaps getting your dad involved, respecting his advice and letting him know it can go a long way.

TRexRacing

Jul 23, 2002
Apparently you are determined to ride.Tell your parents that you will ride even if you must wait until you are old enough that their permission isn't required.Also that while you understand their concern it is something you desire.And the earlier you begin the better off you'll be in the long run.And do us all a favor.Wear the gear all the time.Don't be the guy your parents are afraid you'll become if you ride.It's a demanding sport where the consequences are severe for bad decisions.And learn to take care of the bike,don't cost Mom and Dad tons of money and time fixing something that shouldn't be broken.yeah it's tough but enjoy.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
So this place that is like 5 minutes away what kind of riding is it?

kawraper

Mar 4, 2009
Im 26 and my parents still dissaprove :) Whatchya gonna do?

Alex2

Jul 20, 2009
the place we ride is a mix of just about everything, wood trails, a huge field where everybody goes 5th gear, a couple hill climbs and a few jumps. It's far back in the woods so the noise wouldn't bother anybody.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
So it's somebodies private property? Might be the reason dad is against it. When I drove my son around to various things (he drives now) I always made it a point to not drop him off in a situation where there were potential legal ramifications.

DirTasteGood

May 18, 2009
Borrow someones little 4 stroke bike for the day. Wear helmet boots, and pads, so they know you are protected. Then let your dad or your sister ride it, so they see the enjoyment.
Make a set of rules that will limit yourself, and your parents, so they know what to expect. " I will not ride without my pads. I will not ride on the grass" ect..
Just be a help around the house , to gain some respect and power.

Alex2

Jul 20, 2009
Thanks for the advice. The property is public property, it's a well known spot to locals. Oh and DirTasteGood, None of my friends would let me barrow their bike, and even if they did I know my family would not ride it. =/

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
Take a completely random route. Do you know how I got into dirtbiking? I wanted a horse. Horse riding is VERY expensive, has proved to be more expensive and just as dangerous as biking over the years. So, to de-rail my little horsey idea, my whole family bought bikes, mom, dad and I. Didn't really work out, mom sold her bike and dad stopped riding. They bought me a horse..... just after that I picked up on the bike riding again. Now I have 2 horses and 2 bikes :nod:

My point, start talking to your parents about something much more expensive and dangerous than biking. Go out of your way to seem very enthusiastic about it, talk about it nonstop, show real interest. Your parents may decide that getting a bike is a good idea after all. ;)

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
i would go another route.
i would put myself on my father skin and know what takes him to not let me ride. i would be honest with him. trying to convince him, not by words, but acts.
be responsible, cut the grass, more than is needed. paint the house, clean the house, washing the dishes etc...this way i could show, and they will understand that i really want to ride a bike, not just another toy (dangerous) to be cool.

with commitment, i would give them before they give me. always work ;)

this is just me.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
I'm a father... and I'm up for adoption :)

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
do you have a doughter by my age? :nener:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Well if it is public land that is really open for legally riding off road vehicle the legal issue should be out the window. Frankly I'm not so sure that really is the case, and just because other people do it doesn't make it right or legal. None the less as a dad if that really is the case I would be a bit more open to the idea at that point. Next up would be attitude & grades. Oh sure buttering up never hurts but a dramatic change can typically be followed by a reversal one the carrot has been got. Don't expect an instant turn around from your parents if you start to do chores, etc... See we've been kids ourselves so we already know the playbook. That's not saying people can't change just don't expect a instant reversal on their part. Anything worth getting is going to take honest hard work.

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
Patman said:
Anything worth getting is going to take honest hard work.
this one should go to someone signature... maybe mine?

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Guess I was lucky. Got a B&S powered mini bike from neighbor for $25 when I was 10. Clutch springs were broke so I took some off my pitch-back, cut them shorter and bent the ends to make it work. I was real lucky not to lose a leg when they let go and the clutch shoes went flying at about 3,000 rpm. Next step was my mini enduro my father bought unexpectedly when he went to buy my older sister her first car. I can still remember every single second of that day. I never asked for the bike, but my father knew I wanted it. I mowed a lot of lawns to pay him back the $100 he spent for it (only got $5 or $10 a lawn back then). He never asked me to pay for it, but I was so stunned and happy he bought this for me, there was never any question I would pay him back.
And of course, riding was a whole lot easier in 1972 than it is today. Our small addition was surrounded by huge cow fields covered with trails everyone rode on every day. Cows didn't seem to mind. Now, those fields are covered by malls and houses.
But we used to walk or hitchike all over town when we were 14. No way would I let my kids do that today. There are a lot of things I did as a kid, that I wouldn't let my kids do now.
Your father may change his mind. He might not. Most parents realize that children go through stages: they want something so bad today and don't even think of it a few months later. It's not a cheap hobby. And it can be a dangerous hobby.
Be polite, respectful, hard working and hope for the best. Beyond that, you have no real control.

Alex2

Jul 20, 2009
I can't expect grades to get me the bike, I already get all A and B so yeah.... I do a good amount of chores around the house as well. I doubt I'll have a bike until I am 18. =(

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Some things are worth waiting for.

Alex2

Jul 20, 2009
Yeah but by the time i am 18 I will have college to deal with, and then after that a job and blah blah blah Life sucks.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Alex2 said:
Yeah but by the time i am 18 I will have college to deal with, and then after that a job and blah blah blah Life sucks.
Nobody owes you anything.
You are free to make choices, which all have consequences.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Mid thirties and my mother hates my bikes. That's the way life goes. I was actually 5 the first time by oldest brother gave me a ride on his motorcycle. That's when I knew that I would ride one day. During my teen years, there was absolutely no chance of my parents buying me a bike, but when I was 13 or 14 a friend had an Honda street bike. Around the age of 18 or 19 I finally got my first chance to ride alone (I managed to get the keys from my other brother). I think that I was 26 when my wife developed and interest being a passenger on a cruiser. That is when I finally got my first. It was a few more years before I got into dirt, and I assure it that it is worth the wait. Also, if you really want to get into it, then you eventually will find a way. Patience is a virtue that has become extremely rare these days, everybody seems to feel that they should get what they want when they want it these days, but in the end you need to earn it to appreciate it. Sometimes that takes time.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…