xr70rider

Sep 13, 2005
i need to know what 125 i should get im a serious rider graduating from a 2000 xr 70. plz i would greatly appreciate an input . it can be kawasaki, ktm honda, suzuki or yamaha, etc. im looking for something with good handling, top speed , acceleration, handling and more. im 5'4 and weigh 110 lbs i may be small but im dedicated to riding

Last edited:

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
Are you looking for a trail bike, like a ttr-125 or a MX race bike like a YZ125? If you are really interested in performance, a MX 125 certainly has it, but would be too big for you.

A 85/100cc MX bike would be perfect. I'd suggest you consider a KX100, or RM85 expert (or whatever they call the big wheel version). Both bikes offer great performance and are a bit more accomodating of up-and comming riders than the YZ or CR. The KTM105 is also an excelent bike but is more expensive and of questionable reliability.

good luck and have fun.

kdxrider220

Sep 9, 2005
xr70rider said:
i need to know what 125 i should get im a serious rider graduating from a 2000 xr 70. plz i would greatly appreciate an input . it can be kawasaki, ktm honda, suzuki or yamaha, etc. im looking for something with good handling, top speed , acceleration, handling and more. im 5'4 and weigh 110 lbs i may be small but im dedicated to riding

kdxrider220

Sep 9, 2005
xr70rider said:

you most likely wont be able to handle any 125 if you are only 5'4 it will throw you right on your ass :laugh: . try a kx100 or cr 85 expert if you want a step up from the xr70
(kdxrider220)

dante

Mar 24, 2004
When I was little my first bike was a Yamaha GT80(the GT 80 was just a trail bike) ... I rode that for about two years... I hated that bike I thought it was the most uncool bike there was... I begged and pledded with my dad for a "real bike" and he bought me a used honda elsinore 125 he got deal on... It was way too much bike, I could'nt even get it into second gear because first gear was scary enough... as soon as that powerband kicked in it was like :yikes: I thought I could ride too, I raced some BMX, I was wrecking that GT80 so I figured I'd go straight to a 125, because heck I was already on an 80... I figured I could grow into the 125 and get used to it... I was so wrong! As sugested earlier an 85cc big wheel would be perfect for you and will take plenty of time getting used to, coming off that xr, because they are really fast too... You'll have to go to the dealer and sit on some bikes and get a feel, even if your buying used go check them out so you have a better idea of how the 100 and the 85 fit... You'll be allot better rider, faster and safer in the long run on a bike that suits you...

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
At 5'4" you're plenty big enough for a 125. If you are looking for a used bike the KX125 has been the shortest of the bunch the last few years so that may be a place to start.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I don't think a 125 is a good idea. Sure, at 5'4" you are tall enough to reach the ground one footed, but a 125 mxer is a LOT different than a XR70. There's the whole clutch issue plus the abundance of power to deal with. I say buy a used 85, ride it for a year then get a 125.

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
as light as you are, they will all be powerful enough/suspensioned enough.. so.. i'd get the 125 that fits your body well, and has a good seat, and shrouds that dont chew up your knees. and can get a good deal on..we have new 05 yz125's at 3899 here in northeast mississippi.

n_w t_ b_kes

May 31, 2005
When do you plan on buying this bike? How old are you? I would say if you were buying it in a year, and expect to grow a lot in a year than go for a 125. They are quite big bikes and have MUCH more power than your xr 70.

Top Bottom