LJ_T

Oct 28, 2007
Hi,

I have been out of riding for few years having previously had a CR125.

I am after another bike now and am looking at getting a 4 stroke 250, i plan to ride casually at MX track and with mates in the forest etc.

My question is though, are the major brands that much different?

Yamaha YZF
Honda CRF
Suzuki RMZ
Kawazaki KXF

I will be getting a '05 or newer bike, what are there major model changes from '05 to present of the bikes above?

Any specific things i should be aware of/look out for? I am aware that the 4s needs to be serviced/looked after.

Your physical size (both height and weight are important)
- 175lbs/80kg, 177cm
How physical / aggressive are you ?
- very
What do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
- MX tracks, woods
Do you have any riding experience?
- Yes
Do you think you will race ?
- No
Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
- No
Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
- 4 stroke 250
Do you live in California?
- no
Your age?

Thanks alot for the help.

Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
All used 250F four-strokes can be dicey so it's best to buy from someone who can positively verify hours on the engine and the service that has been performed during the life of the bike.

Unless you really enjoy buying parts and splitting cases it's best to avoid any and all used RMZ and KXFs unless you find an absolute low hour cream puff. Even then I wouldn't take one of those as a gift. It's the worst design to come out of Japan in a LONGGGGGG time.

Last edited:

LJ_T

Oct 28, 2007
Hi Rich

Yea I would tend to lean towards Honda and Yamaha myself, what about the alloy frame RMZ/KXF? are the any better?

Also my mates think a honda will be in the shop getting rebuilt all the time?

Thanks

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
LJ_T said:
Hi Rich

Yea I would tend to lean towards Honda and Yamaha myself, what about the alloy frame RMZ/KXF? are the any better?

I wouldn't buy one or work on one. Feel free to read into that anything you like. ;)

Sep 23, 2006
I agree with Rich
Purchasing any used 4 stroke can be very sketchy. Because anybody can cover up a bad bike with Nice plastics

In a nut shell. I have read many reviews. and I would have to say go with a YZ250f because they are known to be very Reliable and have great engines. Although, I would have to say the CRF250R is very user friendly/great handling, but it has reliability issues. and the KXF and RMZ are pretty much both the same bikes. I do not know very much about them. But I jus simply never see them at the top..

defo26

Apr 23, 2007
Any crf250r from 2006 and newer is a great bike. Honda has fixed their valve problems. Like any bike including Yamaha if you dont take care of the bike like clean air filters, change oil, and check valves it will run bad but if you take care of it right they should last a while.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom