What 500 2-stroke should I get???

CRkev

Mar 19, 2004
I'm about to get back into riding...I started with a 92 rm 125 rode it every weekend for 2 years in the woods with fast riding, huuuuuge hills etc. then moved to motocross for another 2 years or so. sold it for about 3 years, then got a 93 rm 250 rode it for a little bit then traded it for a 99 cr 250 and continued track riding for a couple years, have not ridden this bike for about 4 years now but just put all new plastic and graphics and asv c/5 levers and a few more things and about to start doing woods riding again, maybe a LITTLE bit of light track riding, nothin major this time as I'm 33 years old now and a little bit out of shape for now. I'm gonna keep my cr 250 but i'm wanting either a cr or kx 500 just to have....I hate the looks of the 80's bikes and even the early 90's. I like from about 96 and up I guess. Which would you recommend me to look for? I've read the later cr's didnt have a power valve, I never knew that!!! I prefer honda but if the kx's have an advantage It really doesnt matter the brand to me. I just want the best bike for the money! Catch me up on all the pro's and con's of the kx vs. cr and the power valve vs no power valve on the 500's. also certain years vs certain years on the 500's. just help me pick what to look for, it'll be at least 3 or 4 months before i buy anything so no rush, please be honest and experienced with them and know what you're talking about. NO KAWI VS HONDA FANBOY CRAP PLEEEEEEEEEEEASE!!!!! I want objective opinions/facts! I already have my opinion that honda is better than kawi overall......so don't be tryin to convince me of either brand being better in general. be 500 specific :-) Thanks!!!! Oh and I wanna spend $1500-2500 or so, maybe a tad bit more but not much.........

Zach10122791

Nov 17, 2008
i never had or rode a cr500 but i owned a 93 kx500 and that thing ripped as a matter of a fact it was too fast.i would go with the kx because anything with a powervalve is better

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I chose a KX500 because I love lime green. Honestly! But then I'm an old slow guy who merely follows his kids around in the woods.

You'd have to be a pretty hard rider to REALLY feel the difference between the two. Should be no trouble finding a decent specimen for around 2 grand. The average spode is terrified of these things, so demand isn't that great. That being said, read up on these two websites:

cr500riders.com

kxriders.com (mostly 500 guys)

What sealed the deal for me was the KIPS valve on the KX. It supposedly makes a more broad powerband. And the bike is lime green.

If you have the cash, Service Honda/Kawasaki will build you a brand spankin' new aluminum framed 500 of either brand. If I had the money to toss at a dirt bike.......

Either way, a 500 is a great trail bike. Put it in 2nd or 3rd and ride all day w/out shifting. Climb Mt. Everest. Blast through neck deep mud holes that would stop an army tank. Feel the pride of having more HP than brains.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
gwcrim said:
Either way, a 500 is a great trail bike. Put it in 2nd or 3rd and ride all day w/out shifting. Climb Mt. Everest. Blast through neck deep mud holes that would stop an army tank. Feel the pride of having more HP than brains.

It's even better with a Rekluse clutch in it. :cool:

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I'm currently stuffing a 500 into an '02 KX250 chassis and that is one mod that I'm looking at closely. I'm also considering a compression release. Since you're here Rich, care to comment on this photo? The hole is 18mm in diameter and near the top of the cylinder. (Sorry to high jack the thread.)

141420630-L.jpg

ws6transam

Nov 17, 2005
I think that in terms of aftermarket support, the CR500 has the edge. Service Honda makes an updated timing computer for the CR500 motor to improve its response. The CR500 has an aftermarket lighting kit available, as does the KX500. The CR500 has a removable clutch cover in case you really want to install an autoclutch like the Rekluse. AFM, etcetera. The KX will require machining of the clutch cover in order to fit one. The CR500 has five forward gears, and I think the KX500 only has four. The CR500 has better ergononomics but that's subjective. Both bikes can get flywheel weights to tame the explosive rush.

Stick to KX500's that were made later than 1987 if you want the lighting kits to be compatable. 1989 seems to have been the sweet spot in terms of suspension compliance if you like conventional forks. 1996-2004 are probably the most sought-after KX500, and personally, I'd hold out for a low-mileage 2004 model and pay the extra $1000. They can be had for about $3K.

That all said, I bought a 1992 Yamaha WR500, just to be different, because it's air cooled, though I looked long and hard (I started in 2004) at the CR's and KX's before making my choice this fall :)

--Dan

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
KXs have five speeds too. Rekluse doesn't make an auto clutch for one. EFM does but you must use a stock basket.

I have an '89 KX500 that I'm going to sell this spring for cheap but it needs springs. (Just in case....)

CRkev

Mar 19, 2004
There is a service honda fairly close to me online for 6000, don't say what year frame they used but it is at least 3rd gen frame....after 2000. Looks great!!!!!! too bad I can't spend that on one.....work is DEAD right now!!! Good info so far guys, keep it up!!!

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I talked to a guy last night who has an '03 Service Honda for sale. He did a $4000 suspension upgrade! Wants $7200 for the bike. Not a bad price I suppose. It's immaculate. And it's more bike than I need or could ever use.

ws6transam

Nov 17, 2005
Just remember that all those aftermarket goodies and doodads add up fast. My $1200 WR500 probably will have $1200 in parts in it when it's all said & done. Hmm... $200 exhaust, $150 in paint & graphics, $250 in plastics, bolts, fasteners, etcetera, $250 in tires & kickstand, $500 in lighting kit, $300 in shock rebuilds, um, :whoa: $1650 in parts to fix up a $1200 bike, and that doesn't even cover the clutch or the engine porting.

Sheesh: I'll bet I will have $4500 into this thing before I'm done.

Dude, just get the Service Honda bike & be done with it!

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I hear you. I have $1700 in my 2002 250/500 bike, $430 in the exhaust and that's just the beginning. I have to powder coat the frame and whatever else pops it's head up. I'll probably have $3000 in it by the time I'm done.

Still about 1/2 the cost of a used CR500AF. And it's a pretty shade of green.

johncon23

Jan 15, 2009
500 2 stroke

I just went out myself and bought a new bike.I took all your advice plus some.I myself went out and bought me a 2004 cr 500r.I have a cr250 r myself to a 2003.That being said my 250 is for sale.And i think ill go ahead and buy me a kx 500 so i got both asets of the world.But ill be honost the kx im buying is nice but this cr is a serious powerhorse.I think either way you go crkev youll be happy bro i love the suspinsion on the kx alot more than cr but in my opinion the cr responds alitle better. :ride:

John.Jr

Jan 5, 2009
Hey CRkev a 2-stroke is a two stroke,Ihave a 01 KX5 and I just got it for Xmas ran it 2 lean and top end screwd up no problem but Im 5'7 165lbs. and 45 years young!! This thing is a BEAST!!!!!!! ALL STOCK will come up in every gear not trying just hold on if you can,your going to love it ,wait to the KIPS kick in , put wings on it and you can land it at your nearest airport!! keep me informed, John Jr.

John.Jr

Jan 5, 2009
John.Jr said:
Hey CRkev a 2-stroke is a two stroke,Ihave a 01 KX5 and I just got it for Xmas ran it 2 lean and top end screwd up no problem but Im 5'7 165lbs. and 45 years young!! This thing is a BEAST!!!!!!! ALL STOCK will come up in every gear not trying just hold on if you can,your going to love it ,wait to the KIPS kick in , put wings on it and you can land it at your nearest airport!! keep me informed, John Jr.

Feb 3, 2009
500 2 Stroke

Hey crkev, I just bought a 1995 cr500 for $1,200.00, I live in the Dallas area and I too wanted to own, or even ride a 2 stroke 500 at some point in my life. I started researching and checked out the availability and the price of aftermarket and/ or OEM parts for the two bikes and my choce was the CR. I was on Craigslist one day and found my bike, the owner had just completely rebuilt the motor and the bike was in good shape. The reason he was selling it (or so he said) was he couldn't even kick it over, due to compression. To be honest with you, mycr250 is quicker in the turns, but nothing compares to 50-60 2 stoke hp and hitting the pipe. I weigh 260pds and I can get it rolling in first with very little throttle. This size bike only appeals to a certain few and the demand is rather low. The bike is not very practical, but twist the throttle and lift the tire in any gear, one time and that is all it will take.

John.Jr

Jan 5, 2009
Hey outlawtubbywales how do you like that thing? crazy power huh!! Honda or Kawasaki 500,dont matter if its a 2stroke 500 its a BEAST,congrads outlaw welcome to the BIG BOYS!!! Peace John

Feb 3, 2009
Big Boys

Thanks Johnny- It's good to be one of the BIG BOYS. My cr is as much, or more fun than iv'e had in a long time!!! :p
When you twist the throttle, it's like have an F-5 tornado in your underwear. That's funny right there- I don't care who you are....

Last edited:

abitiseb

Feb 19, 2009
KX or CR

To me it all depend on the riding you do, As I have never ride a CR 500 My opinion is on what I have read but it look like the CR turn better but is less stable at high speed. So if you do tight stuff go for the CR, if you do open field go for the KX. That the reason I have a KDX and a KX, one for the tight stuff and one for the open wood road. And by the way both of my bike have never let me down (very reliable).

Top Bottom