What aftermarket items should i buy to become race ready??

kdx220freak

Registered
Aug 23, 2005
hi, i am hopeing to race next year. I have some thoughts though. I was hopeing to get some aftermarket equipment to improve my bike. I have a fmf gnarly pipe and silencer.

I was thinking of getting a weisco piston to have a fresh top end.

I was also thiking of getting some reeds. I want some reeds that will improve my overall preformace. I found one pair that i think is good but i need some opinions. This is what they say that they do: Carbon fiber top reed, increased life over other carbon reeds. Quickest acceleration offered, with more rev available.

Can someone please tell me what this means. I want reeds that will get me off the line a little fast and i want some more top end. I already have a 49 tooth sproket in the back, so i guess im ok but anything will help. The reeds are $50 so please tell me if they are not worth it. ALso will a gnarly pipe make my top end worse??

And do i need to buy new jetts after i get all this stuff or do i just adjust the ones i have? thanks. ( forgot to say, i am not doing mx but i hope to do enduro's and hare scrambles. Also is 93 octance a good octane to run??

saveaux

Jul 20, 2005
1. Approriate gear - Chest protecter, boots, helmet, etc.
2. Steering damper - if you have the $$$.
3. How much do you wiegh? Over 130lbs and a set of new fork springs help keep you safer, although I didn't notice me going any faster with new XR400 springs.
4. Protect that nice Gnarly pipe with a pipe protector, as well as getting adequate bark busters.

I put a VF3 reedcage in my bike, I noticed a difference on throttle response (seemed to rev quicker.) Can I justify $120 on being able to rev a slight bit faster? No, but it sure does look cool having V-FORCE 3 written on my reed block.

Practice riding a loop of trails for 2 hours non-stop.

Roland C

~SPONSOR~
Nov 20, 2002
The VF3 is supposed to come alive with an RB carb mod - don't take it from me, that's just what I hear. If you're racing enduro, you might want to think about getting radiator guards and a skid plate. I would also highly recommend a Steahly flywheel weight if you are going to be in the tight and twisty - it will help keep you from stalling and helps smoothe out the power delivery. Just some opinions.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
I'd worry about protection and handling first. Skid plate, radiator guards, at least new fork springs to balance out the handling, revalve if you can afford it, bark busters, etc.

The harescrambles I've been to and raced in I never felt that I needed more power. That last one I was in I think there were 2 straights where I could get into 4th gear, but most the course was 1st gear stuff, extremly tight, just plowing small trees and brush for 3 hours (everyone I went there with quit after 1 lap, or less). Protecting yourself and your bike from trees/logs/rocks/roots was #1. Power is nice, but not really neccisary at most events, unless you are a pro rider and can handle it. I think a well suspended XR80 would do me fine in the gnarly stuff.

kdx220freak

Registered
Aug 23, 2005
well, i think i have bark busters, they are in front of my bars and they are made of steel, i just dont got the plastic ones. I also have a skid plate, but no radiator gaurds, are these expensive and important? Right now i weight like 135. Im only 5'9 so i cant go flatfoot on the ground. Do flywheel weights wear my engine out quicker? O ya i also have a guard for my pipe. I have a question about my pipe. I have a fmf gnarly pipe and the mounts dont really work for my bike. It fits fine but the mount were it connects close to my tank is not right. Does anyone else have this problem?? Also any more info would be great.

kdx220freak

Registered
Aug 23, 2005
o well I took my carb off, and right in the middle of the float bowl im guessing is my main jet? I says 155 on it. Is this stock or has it been changed? What else should i look for to see if something else has been changed? Im guessing stuff has been changed because it had an fmf pipe on it, should i just put it back on, or is there more info you guys need? thanks

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom